• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet Sanding paint chip correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Sanding paint chip correction

Hey everyone, this may not be the right place, but I have a question about correcting paint chips and then making them level. I have been using Dr. Color Chip and following the directions to a T and when I buff off the excess with the provided materials it just wipes all of the paint off leaving the chip. What would be the process if i filled the chip and let it dry a couple days to come back and wet sand that off. Honestly scares me to death to sand my paint, but I know that it can be done and from what I have read and seen, done pretty easily. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Wanting to apply the M27 and i know that it has to have a one step prior to application, and want the chips taken care off prior to the one step if all possible

Thanks in advance for any help

Jeff

Re: Wet Sanding paint chip correction

Wet sanding is a scary thing, at first. After a period of learning, with hopefully no damage, you'll find it very useful to remove stubborn defects. That being said, paint chips are so varied in size and shape. A perfect chip (if there's such a thing) would be when the top layer of paint was knocked out leaving a small hole to fill. No scratches or leftover jagged edges. In that case, slightly overfilling the hole with your touch-up paint, being careful to only fill the hole and wet sanding the extra a day later works pretty good (2500 grit paper). The real challenge comes when the damaged area is a crazy shape and has jagged edges. Or if in the plastic bumper areas, it may have material torn and raised above the paint surface. Which would need sanding even before you apply touch-up paint.

A comment on your M27 usage. It's not required to do a polish before application if the paint is in good shape. It certainly will make things look better, but M27 goes over unprepped paint as easily as any other sealant.

Comment

Ok thank you for your detailed response, I really appreciate it. The chips seem to be ok as far as not being real jagged, so hopefully no issues. Obviously i would have to polish the areas that are wet sanded though correct?

Comment

Yes sir, I've had great success removing 2500 grit sanding marks with Meguiar's #105 or #110. A polisher of course makes this task much more effective and quick than trying to do it by hand. Not sure what your tools are here, but the sanding marks themselves are pretty light compared to a typical scratch you might find on a car. So removal is not usually a problem. One point to make, when wet sanding, use a sanding block (stiff foam) and work with a slick lubricant. Make sure there aren't any loose chips of paint that could be knocked loose and get lodged in the sanding paper.

Comment

Again thanks for all the help. I have a DA, and the Meguiars microfiber correction compound and microfiber polish, which from what i have read and seen seem to be pretty good.

Thanks

Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');