• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing compound then Cleaner Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing compound then Cleaner Wax?

Paint has a little oxidation so used polishing compound of another brand then followed up with a cleaner wax, doing by hand, turned out decent, has a shine now but doubt I’m using right products or the correct method, need some guidance, thank you.
    Last edited by Mike67; May 7, 2020, 09:41 PM.

Re: Polishing compound then Cleaner Wax?

Well, its not a bad start...

There are lots of new products out there, and some that combine steps... but if you really want to detail it, these are the general ideas:

1. Wash - good soap, gentle mitt or sponge
    2. Clay - claying removes surface contamination... also can do a tar remover, etc if needed. Though I tend to use the tar remover before washing.
    3. Clean/Polish - Something like the Ultimate Polish would do these steps well and gently.
    4. Wax - Lots of options... Ultimate Wax is a good one, the Hybrid Ceramic Wax is starting to be available... be sure to apply them very thin.
    5. Wax - Two coats is recomended

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Cleaner/Wax - You can use something like the 3-in-1 Wax to combine a few steps and save time if you like, and still get good results.
    4. Wax - Optional, but a coat of a regular wax like the Ult. Wax or Hybrid Ceramic is a good finish.

Thats a starting idea, and you can see where your current product fit in....
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Appreciate you, I’ve done all the white on top half of boat with compound and cleaner, going to find a wax today to go ahead and finish that part for now, headed to lake tomorrow so want to at least get wax on it, still have a lot to do, thinking about getting electric polisher haven’t figured out what type, orbital or what.

thanks again

Comment

Ahh, I missed that we were in the boat section....

Still have the same sort of ideas... people generally wont clay a boat, but still have some sort of decontamination step.

The products I mentioned were in the car section. But the same ideas apply in the Marine line products... either a cleaner/polish then wax, or cleaner/wax.

Generally boat products will be too harsh for a car finish.

https://www.meguiars.com/marine/products

Comment

Yea yr right, same ideas apply but sure some would argue that, this is the first wax job for my boat since I got it a year ago, so oxidation is mild on the white and blue on sides somewhat, I’m feeling like I need a little more aggressive remover, the cleaner polish I’m using if I go over it twice it looks better than just once but still leaves some swirls then I’ll go over those Again and that usually gets rid of them, arms are feeling it lol.
          Does wax hide swirls or help remove them?
          Guess I’ll find out this evening, I’m not expecting a deep mirror like finish on this particular job but would be nice.
          Like anything Learn as you go.
          And now I also have the task of picking a wax with what my stores have, yea I will get online but need it today.

Comment

If it is just a wax, it will just hide them at best...

You would likely want the oxidation or compounds in the Meguiars line for actual swirl/scratch removal.

I havent used the boat products myself...

Comment

I’m using a light to mild polishing compound, wonder if I use a heavy duty cleaner if it would clean it a bit more to leave a better finish? Opinion?
              guess I might go with the meguires gold wax, seeing others like Ceramic wax but what do I know, not much lol.

Comment

Heavier will certainly clean better if you need it. Sometimes needs a follow up with a milder product if you want a perfect finish....

Any wax will be helpfull... the marine ones are certainly designed to be immersed in water more..

Comment

Yea I’m sure yr right about the marine waxes, I’m probably chasing my tail right now but that’s how it is right now not going with marine products.
                  So I found meguires products, Ultimate compound, Ultimate polish & Ultimate wax,

Thinking go with the compound then use the cleaner polish I have then use the Ultimate wax? Their Ultimate polish says to use prior to wax. Wonder if my Cleaner polish is the same thing. And of course their 800 hotline for questions is unavailable right now.

Comment

Oh yea you already said those steps, just thinking maybe their compound is better than what I’m using.

Comment

Well I waxed her with the Ultimate Wax, looks good not great, it’s shining not very much depth and that’s what I was expecting but compared to what it looked like 12 hrs ago it’s nice. I’m sure my prep work wasn’t correct, I know i need to take a different approach.

thanks murr1525 for yr input appreciate it, it inspired me to just do it, glad I did.

Comment

Lighter colors usually will shine more than get depth... but still look good.

If nothing else, work got easier for next time. Just check for the stronger Meguiars cleaners, or more specialized products for when ready to go a bit deeper.

And can work on the minor details in between, like metal, rubber, flooring etc...

Comment

I forget about using YouTube, so saw some things last night that were helpful, so yes I’ll definitely get some marine products, I have an orbital polisher I’ve had forever, but these guys were using the other type of buffer machine not orbital. Lol so I have to educate myself on what type of pads do what.

So is applying 2 coats of wax better than just 1? Or does that second cancel out the first?
                          amazing seeing vids these guys do a boat oxidized pretty bad and with using a cutting agent or polishing compound (whatever you call it) then a wax and turns out like new.

Comment

Possibly some info in this video.
                            With so many marine products in the market it gets confusing what products you need, how to use them, and what they actually do. Meguiar’s 3 Basic Steps to M...

or here
                            Step by step, remove the oxidation from the gel coat by polishing and waxing, a simple step by step process.www.BoatingTracks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
                              Possibly some info in this video.
                              With so many marine products in the market it gets confusing what products you need, how to use them, and what they actually do. Meguiar’s 3 Basic Steps to M...

or here
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrq4rO6Y5s0

👍

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');