Polishing compound then Cleaner Wax? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polishing compound then Cleaner Wax?

Re: Polishing compound then Cleaner Wax?

Well I waxed her with the Ultimate Wax, looks good not great, it’s shining not very much depth and that’s what I was expecting but compared to what it looked like 12 hrs ago it’s nice. I’m sure my prep work wasn’t correct, I know i need to take a different approach.

thanks murr1525 for yr input appreciate it, it inspired me to just do it, glad I did.

Lighter colors usually will shine more than get depth... but still look good.

If nothing else, work got easier for next time. Just check for the stronger Meguiars cleaners, or more specialized products for when ready to go a bit deeper.

And can work on the minor details in between, like metal, rubber, flooring etc...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

I forget about using YouTube, so saw some things last night that were helpful, so yes I’ll definitely get some marine products, I have an orbital polisher I’ve had forever, but these guys were using the other type of buffer machine not orbital. Lol so I have to educate myself on what type of pads do what.

So is applying 2 coats of wax better than just 1? Or does that second cancel out the first?
    amazing seeing vids these guys do a boat oxidized pretty bad and with using a cutting agent or polishing compound (whatever you call it) then a wax and turns out like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post

👍

Update....
    so got back to polishing boat, by hand that is, got a heavy duty rubbing compound that works better than other I had then Megs cleaner wax then Ultimate Wax, WOW, it’s looking so much better, very nice shine and depth on both colors white and blue, doing research on type of pads to use for buffer, I have an orbital so I dug it out so will be getting some pads soon but until then it’s elbow grease. Will probably end up trying marine specific products but one thing they say they’ll hold up to salt water well, so boat isn’t in salt water ever so makes me hesitate a bit but still reading up on the whole aspect of it all, trial and error, see how well these products hold up, I’ll use up what i have then look into marine type. My boat is 30yrs old and paint is in pretty good condition.

Final Update,
    so after the sloooow “by hand” process with very little progress picked up a rotary buffer, tried my old orbital, said forget this, so also got a foam cutting pad and foam finish pad. The results are outstanding!! I used Megs 2 fine cut cleaner followed by a cleaner wax (paste) then finished with Ultimate wax. Just the top of boat that gets all the sun is white and dull like a matte finish, I’m sure it was glossy at one time, was able to bring it out some but was afraid to go with high rpm’s but sure I’ll try a small part to see what happens, the side of boat is like a mirror now just not sure how high of rpm’s to use, might come out little better with higher rpm’s. I didn’t use rotary to apply or remove final wax, did it by hand, not sure If applying and removing wax with machine is better than by hand, still trying to figure that out, but I’m on my way to a shining boat, I appreciate the help on forum.

Glad it is working out for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information