• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attempting to fix rock chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attempting to fix rock chips

I spent the past few days working on my red KIA, starting with a full wash followed up with claying for spots that feel bumpy with the bag test. To my dismay my paint, as with most Korean cars, is very soft, even though I used a ton of lube and applied minimum pressure, the clay bar inevitably leaves marks. I had to use UC to clean up the swirls left by claying ( working by hand ).

One of the spots I discovered on the hood was actually a tiny rock chip. I've attempted to fill it using the paint pen provided by the dealer, so far it looks rather ugly, I can feel that it's protruding above the paint surface. I intend to wait some time for the paint to dry, though I'm unsure how to proceed after that.

Should I wet sand the paint flat with the surface around it or can I clay it? What grit should I begin with? Should I use a bigger piece of paper or follow tips on gluing a small circle piece of sandpaper to a pencil and using that to smooth the touch up paint bulge.

Also, since the rock chip is so small, how big of an area should I be polishing afterwards? I fear sanding will leave deep marks in the surrounding paint, upon hearing that you can go through clear coat with UC by hand when applied on a small area I'm rather scared to try it.

Really appreciate some tips, this is my first time trying this, I read that this can be challenging even for pros...

Re: Attempting to fix rock chips

Claying will not flatten the paint repair. If you really want to try wet sanding, (make sure it has dried fully) you can start with 2500 grit. Try to keep the area about the size of a nickle or quarter. The pros have a small sanding tool, your pencil suggestion might work. Not too much pressure, probably 5 or 6 movements of the grit should do. Check and see if it is good. If not do again. Remember less is better than more. You might then want to do the same with 3000, but a good rub with Ultimate Compound and then Polish should make the repair look fairly good without the 3000. It all depends on your skill. Check out YouTube. Tons of chip repair videos just like what you are trying to do.

Comment

Re: Attempting to fix rock chips

Thanks for the reply, have been busy recently and forgot to check the forum. I'll follow your tips in combination with other videos I found to fix the chip, previously I was bewildered by the different methods that people choose to employ and couldn't decide which one to stick to, I feel that the method you proposed is pretty safe, I'll try it on the lower bumper first. Will post back results when I get the chance.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');