• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice Polishing For Ceramic Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice Polishing For Ceramic Coating

Let me try this again...
    I’ve decided to Ceramic coat our black SUV. Here’s the steps taken thus far:
    1.Wash/Remove wax
    2.Clay
    3.Wash/Remove Quick Detailer residue from claying
    4.Polish entire vehicle using Scratch X 2.0

My question is this: would it be worth the time to re-Polish using a product such as Ultimate Polish? I see that that particular product has “conditioning oils” in it that I would have to remove anyhow prior to application of the ceramic coating.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated before I seal it all up with the ceramic coating.
    Last edited by Jason In MN; May 18, 2020, 10:22 PM. Reason: My text keeps getting cut out

Re: Need Advice Polishing For Ceramic Coating

There is no need to wash after a claying.

I would recommend you start off with a test spot with ultimate polish and inspect the paint. If you need to go more aggressive then I would look into ultimate compound. In general compounding can leave haze or micro-marring that a polish will remove. You also want to use a prep product to remove any polishing oils regardless of the polish being used. It is common practice to do so.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I did order some Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish up. I’m excited to use it! While doing research on polishing I came across a video (might have been a Chemical Guys video) that explained to strip the clay lube off as it has slight hydrophobic tendencies and will clog the polishing pad. This is the first time polishing so I have no clue!

Comment

The "prep product" the Guz is mentioning will remove anything left on the paint after claying, polishing, etc. A lot of folks use isopropyl right before your coating application, however I believe there are a few options.

Comment

Gotchya. Being that everybody has been grabbing the isopropyl due to the Covid I’ll be using DupliColor Prep Spray.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');