• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to Ultimate Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Ultimate Wax?

Hi all, first time poster here.

I have dark gray CRV that doesn't take Ultimate Wax very well. My guess is the clear coat isn't quite what it was.

I've gone over the hood with Meguiar's Compound, Turtle Wax's Scratch Repair and Renew, and Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. I used all of these compounds because I thought that maybe I had some light oxidation, but I don't think that's the case, even though I do have some crazing spots. The clear coat is very shiny before I try the Ultimate Wax.

Once waxed, the car takes on a very swirled look that is quite difficult to buff back off with the Ultimate Wax. Anyone have any good wax alternatives or tips for what to try?

Thanks!

Re: Alternative to Ultimate Wax?

Little hard to tell without pics... does it seem like the swirling/hazing fades after a while, or after a wash?

Or does it seem like actual swirls/scratches are showing up more?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks, I’ll try to get a couple. Before waxing I think the clear coat looks good. I’ve had oxidized paint before and this definitely is not, based on previous experience. Clear coat is shiny.

The ultimate wax goes on great, but immediately takes on that hazy/oxidized look once I start buffing. It’s very uneven, not giving a nice polish without much, much buffing, and usually in the same direction. The haziness/unevenness does fade with time and it looks decent. It’s like the clear coat just doesn’t jive with the wax somehow.

Comment

That makes it sound more like you are applying too much and having a hard time removing.

These new types of waxes go on very very thin, almost too thin to see. There shouldnt be 'residue' visible to remove, just a light film at most.

Some people have good results applying to a panel or two, then removing. Some apply to the whole car then remove. But very thin either way....

Comment

Thanks, and I think you are right. I’ve been applying pretty darn thick I think. I found another thread with a dark car, same problems and they were calling it “blushing”, which sounds exactly like what mine does.

Glad to keep using the Ultimate Wax, but make it better next time!

Comment

Yeah, a thick is not going to work well.

Comment

yeah use less prduct. I use ultimate polish as a glaze if the paint is uneven.

Comment

Do an IPA wipedown, as UP is a glaze too and contains oils that make it look wet.
                These may be being removed by over application and then not look so god. NXT 2.0 has good filling ability and works bette ron a adaily driver with sub par paint.

Comment

An old trick to even out the streaky, splotchy, shadowy finish is to wipe with a damp microfiber towel.

This helps even out the polymers.

If it were me, I'd probably re-polish and apply a thin layer of ultimate Wax.

Keep in mind that Ultimate Polish has an abrasive load in it that will abrade paint. It was some polishing oils, but they're formulated to not only add richness and nourishment to the paint, but to aide Meguiar's waxes and sealants in bonding to the paint. For more info on that do a Google search for "Mike Phillips miscible and immiscible".

I've been surprised by the level of defect removal thay is possible with Ultimate Polish. Try it with a microfiber finishing disc, and you'll have a good one step polish.

Comment

A better sealant is Sonax Xreme wax 1. Easier to apply and wont streak and will last for ages - an alternative for you.
                    BSD is the spray detailer as a drying aid

I use this combo in winter when the rain is daily. Summer, its Xpress/Quik wax on dry down

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');