• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using M27 over wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using M27 over wax

Has anyone had personal experience (good or bad) using M27 Sealant OVER a wax like ULW or D166 Polishing Wax as a top coat for extra paint protection? Is it true M27 will hot adhere to a previously applied wax of cleaner/wax?

Thanks,
    Vettefan

Re: Using M27 over wax

You would lose durability if applied over D166 just like a sealant applied over a cleaner wax. No need to put it over ULW. Seeing as they are both synthetic products I would just reach for M27. If you want extra protection then I would stick with hybrid ceramic spray detailer or bead booster on top of M27.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Apply Wax before using M27, or not?

I have chatted online a few times with Meguiar's customer service rep. One rep told me NOT to apply wax before applying M27 because M27 would not stick to the wax, another customer service rep told me that I should use Ultimate Liquid Wax before applying the M27!

Which one is it, Wax, or NOT to Wax, That is the question!

I hope someone knowledgeable from Meguiar would clear this up, once and for all.

Comment

As far as I'm aware you can apply M27 over a sealant but I can't comment on durability. What it would do is give you the water properties and some of the self cleaning abilities that M27, or the other Hybrid Ceramic stuff, can give you. In my opinion it would be easier to just use M27 standalone, but if there is a certain sealant you prefer maybe try the hybrid ceramic spray stuff so M27 doesn't have to be applied regularly over the sealant.

I've had M27 on my car for 2.5 months, and don't notice much, if any, degradation - still beads and sheets water like crazy and looks good. This stuff is surprisingly durable for me - I can easily see it going the 6 months it says it would but I live on the west coast and rarely get any rain or bad weather.

Comment

I had an online chat with Branden from Meguiar yesterday and he said just the opposite. He recommended the following: 1. wash, 2. Clay, 3. Ultimate Liquid Wax, 4. Wait 24 hours, 5. Apply M27.

Therefore, how do you come up with your recommendation which is the opposite of what the manufacturer recommends?

Comment

I did not say the opposite of what you were told, I said something similar to what you were recommended - apply M27 over whatever protection you already have (in your case, Ultimate Wax) to give you the water and protection properties it has. Like I also said however, I can't comment on durability and it might be easier to use the Hybrid Ceramic stuff.

Hope it works out!

Comment

Thanks for clarification. BTW, isn't M27 Hybrid Ceramic?

Comment

Originally posted by brucesalimi View Post
                Apply Wax before using M27, or not?

I have chatted online a few times with Meguiar's customer service rep. One rep told me NOT to apply wax before applying M27 because M27 would not stick to the wax, another customer service rep told me that I should use Ultimate Liquid Wax before applying the M27!

Which one is it, Wax, or NOT to Wax, That is the question!

I hope someone knowledgeable from Meguiar would clear this up, once and for all.
                First off ultimate wax is a sealant. M27 is a is also a sealant. No need to use both products. The difference between these two products is M27 contains SiO2 which adds durability. As I mentioned in my previous post, durability will be affected if M27 is applied over another product. By how much you will probably ask? Well that is a variable in itself.

Stick with M27 as a stand alone and maintain it with the hybrid ceramic detailer.

Originally posted by brucesalimi View Post
                Thanks for clarification. BTW, isn't M27 Hybrid Ceramic?
                They are similar yet different. M27 is a pure sealant with SiO2 where Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax is SiO2 but contains carnauba. That is what I gathered from MarKus Kleis or Michael Stoops in the facebook group. There are other threads covering this as well by Nick.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

I think again this is stemming from the confusion where Meguiar's says on their Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax bottle you can apply over anything, even over other waxes or sealants.

Contrary to M27, which on the bottle states you need to apply it over a one step polished surface, which translates to you need to apply it over bare paint.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what product it is, apply it over bare paint for maximum effectiveness of that product.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                    First off ultimate wax is a sealant. M27 is a is also a sealant. No need to use both products. The difference between these two products is M27 contains SiO2 which adds durability. As I mentioned in my previous post, durability will be affected if M27 is applied over another product. By how much you will probably ask? Well that is a variable in itself.

Stick with M27 as a stand alone and maintain it with the hybrid ceramic detailer.

They are similar yet different. M27 is a pure sealant with SiO2 where Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax is SiO2 but contains carnauba. That is what I gathered from MarKus Kleis or Michael Stoops in the facebook group. There are other threads covering this as well by Nick.

Wouldn't it be better to maintain with Hybrid Ceramic Wax (Spray, blue bottle)?

Comment

The first layer of my car paint is carnauba wax, I applied M27 after half an hour, the effect is no problem! M27 seems to need curing time, it will be very beautiful in a few hours!

Comment

Originally posted by symmetrical View Post
                        I think again this is stemming from the confusion where Meguiar's says on their Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax bottle you can apply over anything, even over other waxes or sealants.

Contrary to M27, which on the bottle states you need to apply it over a one step polished surface, which translates to you need to apply it over bare paint.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what product it is, apply it over bare paint for maximum effectiveness of that product.
                        Nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by vwite View Post
                          Wouldn't it be better to maintain with Hybrid Ceramic Wax (Spray, blue bottle)?
                          Maintain with Bead Booster or Ceramic Detailer.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');