• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Gloss Black Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Gloss Black Wheels

Hi All,

I was wondering what the best product is to remove surface scratches from gloss black wheels. Refer to pictures below.

I have seen products such ScratchX, SwirlX, Mirror Glaze and I am unsure which is the best for my application.

I am also guessing the factory wheels are clear coated.

Thanks.

Re: Polishing Gloss Black Wheels

I don't envy your task NJ. Black wheels are the worst, IMHO. I agree with your guess that they should be coated. Because of the many angles you need to contend with, I'd try to find a wheel buffing attachment for your drill, or something similar. Start with the Meg's products you mentioned and hopefully they will knock out most of the defects. You may need some stronger compounds though. After that, keep a coat of some protection on it REGULARLY. Wheels take a lot of abuse!!

Comment

What products do you have in your possession?
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

I have no products at present, I will need to purchase the right product.

I have contacted Meguiars in Australia and the US and one has said to use the 3in1 wax and one other has said to use ScratchX.

My reading indicates SwirlX is supposed to be non abrasive.

All in all I am confused, If need be i am thinking of starting with the least abrasive and working up. Worst case I waste $20.

Comment

Scratchx and swirlx are abrasive products. See here https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...t-surprise-you!

Do you have access to ultimate compound and ultimate polish? The other option would be M110 and M210 or M205. You may not need to use a compound and M205 might be all you need.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

I can get any Meguiars product that not any issue.

Below is a picture of the worst of it with torch light shined directly on the wheel. The large scratch is not deep, doesn't catch the fingernail.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');