• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back after a decade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back after a decade!

Hello everyone,

I used to frequent this site frequently and learned a lot. I bought a black car back in 2006 that had a very scratch sensitive paint, so much that if you looked at it too long you got swirl marks! So I read and tried so many different products but finally settled on #83, 80, and 82 using a combination of meguiars pads and porter cable until it died and upgrading to a Flex. This was all followed with #21 2.0 every other month or so with some M66 thrown in a couple times a year to try and extend the time between the full paint corrections.

Fast forward ten years and my black car is gone but I am ready to get back into a little paint correction and detailing again. I have a little convertible that will be painted british racing green and I will be doing some wet sanding when it is done. Seeing that all my products are old and probably out dated I was hoping to get some suggestions on what products I should look into for this project and what I should use for continuing protection.

Thank you in advance for your help. I am so excited to have a shiny car again!

Re: Back after a decade!

I still like M21 for a sealant.

Maybe check out the new M110 Compound, and M210 Polish.

My friend The Guz gave me some samples to try, and I should be giving them a good work out tomorrow at the shop.

Comment

I'd still use 80,82,83, or 85 if really bad along with the newer 105,110 compound along with 205 polish. All depends on how bad the paint is. myself personal would start with 105 or 110 compound and then polish with 205 polish , followed up w/ M21 sealant. Top offed with M26 yellow wax or Gold glass.

Comment

Well this thread seems that suits fine with me as i am also back, but after 13 years, but still have the same car a nice ford sports red car and the same passion maintaining it to look brand new as it was when i bought it on July 2006, and always using Meguiars products trying all the latest, but also the classic ones. My latest purchase was the Hybrid Ceramic wax on spray, which have to admit is an amazing product suitable also for the old paint of my car being a non metallic red color but being maintained like new.

I am glad that i am back to participate to our forum discussions and exchange opinions for our beloved products and cars.
        STrive for perfection in everything you do.

Comment

Welcome back. Applying M21 every month is really not needed as its capable of going a few months on its own. It is still a good sealant. Other products have been introduced with newer polymers like ultimate wax. Then you have the silicon dioxide (SiO2) infused products in hybrid ceramic liquid wax and M27 which is the latest technology.

From a compound and polish perspective, M110/M210 are the latest formulations. Designed to work with a DA. These are two very good products. The 32 oz bottles will last you a lifetime if you don't do too much paint correction. M205 is still a good product to have.

If you are just looking to pick something up locally you can get yourself a bottle of ultimate compound and either ultimate polish or M205.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks guys,

Right now I am researching the new micro fiber system. Sounds like it might be a good option to follow the wet sanding but I still have a lot of reading to catch up on.

I think I used to purchase from ADS in the past and would get a free duffel bag if I spent over $100. Now they don't seem to carry the full line of Meguiars. Where is the best place to stock up now?

Comment

buffing up fresh paint, M100 and a twisted wool pad on a rotary is excellent.

Comment

Capt. Dan
                Here is a good video over Meguiar's Dual Action DA Microfiber Correction System part II Enhancements.
                Jason Rose, Mike Pennington and Mike Philips.
                Last edited by Old Bear; Jul 10, 2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');