• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble cleaning strut tower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble cleaning strut tower

This strange black stuff seems to have gunked up the paint around my strut towers and it's proving difficult to remove. What's the safest approach to getting it off? I tried soapy water and a detailing brush but it doesn't really seem to get at it well enough. I got frustrated and tried a wire brush and that worked, but of course it messed up the paint.

Re: Trouble cleaning strut tower

I'd be looking at an All Purpose Cleaner, or Degreaser.

Meguiars and other make them.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      I'd be looking at an All Purpose Cleaner, or Degreaser.

Meguiars and other make them.
      I'll look into getting some. Out of curiosity, what do you think this might be? At first I thought it was engine oil, but now I think it's something else related to rubber parts.

Comment

I would look from underneath for leaking hydraulic fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedo12 View Post
          I'll look into getting some. Out of curiosity, what do you think this might be? At first I thought it was engine oil, but now I think it's something else related to rubber parts.
          the way you describe trying to clean without success, id say its rubber strut mount breaking down. did you have a cv boot problem on that side at one time? ive seen a cv tear,grease thrown around the wheel well, sit on the strut mount, and break it down. goo like substance running down inside the wheel well and oozing out like that.

the hyd fluid old bear mentioned can do the same. trans and brake fluids are both hyd fluids.
          if the degreaser doesnt work, try some mineral spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsteve View Post
            the way you describe trying to clean without success, id say its rubber strut mount breaking down. did you have a cv boot problem on that side at one time? ive seen a cv tear,grease thrown around the wheel well, sit on the strut mount, and break it down. goo like substance running down inside the wheel well and oozing out like that.

the hyd fluid old bear mentioned can do the same. trans and brake fluids are both hyd fluids.
            I think you're right on it. On both sides of this car I've got torn outer CV axle boots. I tried a few different degreasers and even some of that hand washing orange stuff to limited results. I'll report back with my results with mineral spirits.

Comment

I think you're right on it. On both sides of this car I've got torn outer CV axle boots. I tried a few different degreasers and even some of that hand washing orange stuff to limited results. I'll report back with my results with mineral spirits.

If that is what it is, I'm surprised that fluid can find it's way all the up to my strut tower on the inside.

Comment

You were right!! Thanks soo much. I just applied a light amount of spirits to a swab and lightly rubbed and it came right off!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');