• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Product for Exterior Plastic "Brushed Aluminum" Trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Product for Exterior Plastic "Brushed Aluminum" Trim?

So my new Audi A4 has some exterior trim that looks like brushed aluminum, but is actually plastic. I've noticed it's really prone to show water spots. Before I hit it with the Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax, I wanted to see if anyone has a better suggestion. Thanks!

P.S. I'm back after a long (10+ years) hiatus from detailing my cars, and looking to get caught back up on detailing products and practices.

Re: Best Product for Exterior Plastic "Brushed Aluminum" Trim?

Yeah, if its got like a glossy clear coat on it, waxing like the paint will be best.

If its like a matte plastic, the ceramic wax should still work, just watch cleaning/applying.... rubbing too firm can change the texture.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Best Product for Exterior Plastic "Brushed Aluminum" Trim?

Originally posted by kclundy View Post
      So my new Audi A4 has some exterior trim that looks like brushed aluminum, but is actually plastic. I've noticed it's really prone to show water spots. Before I hit it with the Megs Hybrid Ceramic Wax, I wanted to see if anyone has a better suggestion. Thanks!

P.S. I'm back after a long (10+ years) hiatus from detailing my cars, and looking to get caught back up on detailing products and practices.
      Update: I attacked the water spots on the plastic trim of my Audi this weekend. Four different materials with water spots; each responded differently:
      1. Matte black plastic - Ultimate Ceramic Liquid Wax (UCLW) did the trick. Didn't leave a hazy residue like typical wax does on matte black plastic; left a slight bit of sheen, and the water spots are no longer visible. (Note: I was out of Ultimate Black when I started the project - I have since resolved that issue.)
      2. "Brushed aluminum" matte plastic trim - started with UCLW, but that didn't do it. Moved up to Cleaner Wax, and that worked to remove the water spots with only mild pressure using a microfiber towel. Topped it off with UCLW.
      3. Shiny chrome plastic trim - same as the brushed aluminum - the UCLW didn't remove the water spots, but the Cleaner Wax did a great job - super sparkly/shiny now! Also followed up with UCLW.
      4. Gloss black plastic trim - was unable to remove the water spots completely. Started with distilled white vinegar - no impact. Then tried UCLW - no impact. Then tried Cleaner Wax - no impact. Then tried Paint Cleaner - no impact. Then tried clay bar with Ultimate Spray Detailer - no impact. Then tried Scratch-X 2.0 - seemed to knock the spots down slightly. The next most abrasive product I have is Plast-X, but I'm scared to used that because I fear I will introduce micro-scratches. I think I'll live with what the Scratch-X 2.0 got me. I did seal it back up with UCLW

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');