• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Faded Paint? Etch? Water spot? (black paint) Worried.. (I have pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faded Paint? Etch? Water spot? (black paint) Worried.. (I have pics)

Okay so first I was doing a headlight restoration with meguiars and it didnt turn out good but I think it was my fault for not using in proper temps. Anyways, I ended up using 3m headlight kit since it had drill applications but it rained that day mid way through wet sanding the headlights. When the weather cleared back up I went back to work and when I was done it looked great so I took my blue masking tape with white plastic trash bags off of the paint that I had masked off.
    When I took the homemade masking job off of my drivers side headlight surroundings I saw a big faded patch of what looked like an imprint (etch) the bag might have cause while rubbing on the paint with wet sand particles sitting under the bag and them drying under the plastic bag when the sun came back out. (I am currently in florida)
    MIND YOU, I was lazy and forgot to mask the other headlight and that side is fine there aren’t any of those spots that i’m seeing on the side where I used the plastic bag.

I tried:
    Bucket Washing with a wax remover ph neutral soap using a bug & tar remover and iron remover before washing
    Still nothing!
    (well the driver qtr panel above headlight seems to have went back to normal)
    but everything else is the same.

I was too worried so I just got out a MF applicator pad and some ultimate polish and went over the (damaged?) areas. I know I should’ve clay barred first, but I was in a rush as it was night time. UP seemed to do a great job, and for me to see the spots I had to be super close on the paint with phone light. I wasn’t satisfied because with certain angles it was still noticeable and I used some spray on wax to temporarily protect the area until I got some better recommendations on how to attack these spots. Since applying spray wax it has stormed like crazy here in florida and it looks like the rain has washed away all the protectant/polish I applied and now the spot looks like it was before..
    I am hesitant to do anything further, any suggestions?
    I have a clay bar, scratchx, ultimate compound, and a orange waffle foam pad I got from the 3m kit with a drill to use if need be. I would rather go by hand or use a DA polisher but I don’t have one. The spots are seeming to remain the same, there is barely anything to feel when touched. Just looks like a slight hazed layer I can still see metallic particles from paint under so its not completely faded or dull, but definitely “off black” and not how it should look.

Car Details:
    2014 BLACK JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, front bumper seems to be plastic. I have a black metallic paint as well.

Can someone possibly guide me on how to upload pictures to this thread for reference?

Re: Faded Paint? Etch? Water spot? (black paint) Worried.. (I have pics)

Forgot to mention, I also used the 3M Rubbing Compound on a test area around my fog light and that seemed to work great until it stormed and it reacted like the rest of the effected areas. I’m not exactly sure if the rubbing compound was a good idea or if it has enough cut to do anything but it did temporarily mask the areas and somewhat restore them and so did the UP, just not as much. I am wondering why the paint went back to normal like it did when I used polish even though compound should have more abrasives therefore removing the defect, but it still re-appeared? I have a spray sealant I will be using when all said and done to protect but I don't want to seal my paint yet for obvious reasons and the polish seems to wash away and I don’t want to apply and type of liquid/paste wax until I put on my sealant or at least remove these blemishes.

Comment

This article by RoushStage2 will help you upload images from your PC to your Gallery on the Meguiars Online Forums servers.
      It also will show you how to add images to your posts.
      https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ghlight=images

Comment

Comment

CJ If you copy and paste the line that says HTML code and img src it will place image into post.

Comment

I ended up figuring it out. It wasn’t working at first so I made another thread and then it started working. The picture above represents what I am talking about, I also have another thread with more pictures for further inspection if anyone has any advice or suggestions, thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');