Residue on Machined Rims?

Thread: Residue on Machined Rims?

Registered Member

Residue on Machined Rims?

Hey folks,

I have a little issue with some machined rims that I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than I could help me with before I cause more damage.

I have a set of Starr 718 Gatsby's, black with a machined face that I've owned for roughly 5 years now. I pulled them out this weekend and noticed there was this residue - I guess you'd call it - in spots on the machined surface. Pics below show a few spots on just 1 of the rims. As far as I can tell it only exists on the machined surface and not at all on the painted black portions. Before I go scrubbing at these with every chemical and compound known to man, anyone have any idea how I might be able to get rid of this, and how I might avoid it in the future?

Here's the backstory, if it helps: The rims were last on the car in the summer of 2018, when I had to remove them and put the stock wheels back on in a hurry (unrelated issue). In my haste, I put them away without much more than a quick rub down. I had intended on coming back the next day and doing a more thorough cleaning, but a combination of life and laziness (mostly laziness) prevented that from ever happening. I fully believe that not going back to clean them caused the issue, because it wasn't present beforehand. Any suggestions for someone that doesn't know much about detailing?

Let me know if I need to make the pictures bigger. TIA.

Last edited by Walterfs; Jul 27th, 2020 at 02:27 PM.

Re: Residue on Machined Rims?

Yeah, bigger images would be great.

Do you know if there is a clear coat, or bare metal, or chrome?

Can you feel it like a residue raised on top, or etched down in?

Did you do any wash or wheel cleaner yet?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Registered Member

Larger images added to the original post.

I'm not sure about the clear coat. I've never added anything to them and I couldn't find too much info about it online when I was looking, but it probably doesn't help that this particular set is discontinued.

On the spot in the first image I could feel the residue when I ran my finger over the spot, it felt like the residue was a layer sitting on top of the rim itself. The other 2 spots, at least in these images, it was less noticeable of a texture but it still felt like it was on top of the material, not etched into it. I'm hoping that's a good thing.

And, historically, I mostly only used water and a microfiber wash mitt to clean them (mitt was used exclusively on the rims, not on car paint or with the solution used on the rest of the car). That last summer, I did begin using Car Guy's Wheel and Tire Cleaner, but it never had an effect that appeared before pulling these out this weekend. Then, finally, prior to taking these photo's I did hit this rim again with the Car Guy's, and did a second round on these spots but it didn't even appear to touch the residue. I haven't used anything else yet because I wouldn't even know what to start with and didn't want to end up causing more damage without consulting someone with more knowledge.

Do you have any paint cleaner, like Ultimate Compound?

If you apply it to the silver part, and cloth stays clear, then it is clear coated. If the cloth turns black, it is bare metal.

But that is also what I would try applying to a small area first. Be careful not to just rub your finger in one spot... Work a small test area, like the spot in the last pic.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

It almost looks like there might have been bugs, like slugs, crawling around. They may have left their digestive fluids. Notice that it always seems to start near an edge. The texture of the spoke vs painted rim could cause an increase in secretion.

Looks like the clear coat has been compromised.

Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub Brian Hann's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Looks like the clear coat has been compromised.
    Agreed. Unfortunately this looks like the finish has failed. There is likely no real fix for this other than refinishing.
    Brian Hann
    Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, California
    bhann@meguiars.com
    (800) 854-8073 *3870

Thread Information