UP every 1-2 years - conflicting advice - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UP every 1-2 years - conflicting advice

Registered Member

Re: UP every 1-2 years - conflicting advice

Quote Originally Posted by drumdan View Post
    Yes, that's the one.

It's got some cut, probably between the yellow and black Meguiar's discs. You might also like the red hex (similar to the black) which has no cut. Regardless, of how light the pad is, there is a light mechanical abrasive cut in the Ultimate Polish whose strength depends on how you use it. Low speeds, moderate pressure, light product application, and you're probably up for some serious gloss.

I use Ultimate Polish with the green pad (and higher speed, moderate pressure) in many one step polishing situations. While I get surprising defect removal, the trade off is a little gloss. When polishing for gloss I'm typically using the blue, or the yellow Buff and Shine Uro-Tech.

Lake Country are also very nice. Their black would be excellent.

I think i have decided on the LC SDO range as it is similar to the megs in terms of a 3 pad range. They are also easy to come by here is Aus and at a good price. Have you got any experience with these in terms of how they compare to megs? I am assuming they are almost identical - Blue=burgandy, Orange = yellow and black = black? I will then need to buy some kind of waxing pad.

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    That's interesting, I wonder which foam i would be getting from ordering here in Aus. Maybe i could try Ultimate Polish on a red pad to start with and see how that goes. I was also thinking about giving the Shine mate pads a go as they are readily available here and have some good reviews.

It's interesting that different regions have different foams and different ways to measure density and cutting ability.

Does the UP on the red pad with the finicky black paint also provide some slight correction?

I find it hard to compare pads because different info sources all say different things. In this chart it says that the blue, red and black HEX pads all have no cut.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/blogart...pad-color-code

But, as you've said I've found other sources that say they do. As you say, it is also about the liquid being used as well as pressure and DA speed!
    The blue, and red are pretty soft. The black used to be, but their current foam is a tad more resilient.

The red pad will have no mechanical cut.

I think i have decided on the LC SDO range as it is similar to the megs in terms of a 3 pad range. They are also easy to come by here is Aus and at a good price. Have you got any experience with these in terms of how they compare to megs? I am assuming they are almost identical - Blue=burgandy, Orange = yellow and black = black? I will then need to buy some kind of waxing pad.
    The SDO is a great choice!

You got the line up right.
    Blue = cutting
    Orange = polishing
    Black = finishing/waxing

You can use the black for waxing, or with Ultimate Polish. I would want to a few of each. Eight is my preferred number.

Registered Member

The SDO is a great choice!

You got the line up right.
    Blue = cutting
    Orange = polishing
    Black = finishing/waxing

You can use the black for waxing, or with Ultimate Polish. I would want to a few of each. Eight is my preferred number.
    I notice they were designed for long throw DAs but surely they are still compatible with a 12mm thorw?

Wow 8 of each variety!? I was going to get 3-4 of each and clean on the fly with an old microfiber.

Thanks for all your help!

I notice they were designed for long throw DAs but surely they are still compatible with a 12mm thorw?

Wow 8 of each variety!? I was going to get 3-4 of each and clean on the fly with an old microfiber.

Thanks for all your help!
    They will work great on even an 8mm polisher. Rupes considers the 12mm to be a "talk stroke" though.

Four will work too. I like to have insurance pads.

Registered Member

They will work great on even an 8mm polisher. Rupes considers the 12mm to be a "talk stroke" though.

Four will work too. I like to have insurance pads.

Yeah makes sense.

I'll start with 4 for the time being and see how i go and how often i use it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information