New to me car (Audi SQ5) with hard paint - tried and failed

Thread: New to me car (Audi SQ5) with hard paint - tried and failed

Registered Member

Question New to me car (Audi SQ5) with hard paint - tried and failed

So I've always lived by, less is more, especially when it comes to polishing/correcting.
    I just picked up a 2018 Audi Sq5 which has extremely hard paint.
    I has a ton of swirls and looks like it has lived in a automated car wash with nasty brushes. EEEKKKK!

I tried a quick detail a few weeks ago when I purchased it. Needed something fast just to clean it up. Didn't know the paint would be as hard as it was.
    Lesson learned, don't rush it.

Long story short - Wash, decontamination, clay, wash. Test spot with yellow Chemical Guys pad on an XP using M250 (it did nothing), then test spot with UC on a yellow CG cutting pad and looked okay. Due to time, I didnt want to break out M105. I did a quick polish with yellow foam pad and UC and then applied a wax. Called it a day.

Well.....
    After looking at it more. Its not what I want. I need to find a day or two and do it right.

I have done some test spots with M105 and a yellow cutting pad and still do not get the results i want.

What is my next logical step?

1) New more aggressive pads with M105? (if so, what pads)
    2) New pads and compound?
    IDK much about Chemical Guys yellow cutting pads. I was in a pinch. Uusually use LC pads.

Thanks for the help!

Re: New to me car (Audi SQ5) with hard paint - tried and failed

Get yourself some microfiber cutting pads. They will cut more than a foam pad. You can try M105 or invest in M110 or D300. I have had success with D300 on a microfiber cutting pad on hard paint. I am not a big fan of M105 due to dusting and short working times. But as I said try it with a microfiber pad and you can make the decision at that point.

I'm with Guz on the microfiber pads.

Even the Ultimate Compound benefits from the massive cutting boost from the microfiber.

M100 + Microfiber is probably my favorite combo for very stubborn paint. With M100, you might want to consider a lot of pads, or an air compressor to clean them out as you go around the car. They load up fast, as the combo peels off a lot of paint. If I remember correctly, I had M105 cake up microfiber pads too.

If you use the Meguiar's no refiner discs with the D300, you might not want to ever use anything else ever again. It's a beautiful, easy way to go.

Registered Member

I have just bought a G12 BMW with hard paint and a million swirls. Looked like he had only washed it through local supermarket. I did my research online and via Youtube. I picked Megs D300/301 with the corresponding microfibre pads using a DA. I did all the steps you did but then used these products. The car finish is now very good, if I was picky I might have gone for a three stage and used UC as my first stage. On the YT clips look at how slow the process is 1" every second for the D300 and I did 6 passes for every 2' x 2' area-not easy on a car that size. I did find that the car had a slight 'bloom' with d300 but it was better after the d301 (finishing polish). The Megs customer service team were good and told me not to dress the surface for a full 24 hours after using the d301. I washed the car a few days later and used a QD-the car looked great. Hope that helps

Thread Information