m105 + m205, left micro scratches (holograms?), can't seem to figure out how to fix.
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: m105 + m205, left micro scratches (holograms?), can't seem to figure out how to fix.

          
  1. #1
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    1

    m105 + m205, left micro scratches (holograms?), can't seem to figure out how to fix.

    Hello! I'm currently working on my Mercedes E350, with black paint. My goal is to practice getting the paint as close to perfect in order to apply a ceramic coat.

    I am working a small test spot, I first used m105 with a microfiber cutting pad from meguiar's . Then went over with m205 and a white pad. I cleaned my vehicle, clay barred, iron decontaminated, and finished off with a second rinse.
    I worked the area for quite some time with both compounds, and noticed the micro swirl marks. The paint in the test zone is significantly better than the rest of the car, but the holograming (not sure if the correct term) is quite heavy. I'm worried that perhaps I worked the m105 for a bit too long. I attempted to fix this by using m105 on an orange pad, then following with m205 on the white, then I attempted to work the spot with m205 on an orange pad and m105 with the white pad with no luck.

    All the pads and microfiber towels used were brand new straight from the package. I honestly am lost and don't know how to fix this. Any guidance is appreciated!

    Update: I ran m205 on an orange pad for a bit longer, followed by Sonax perfect finish on the orange pad as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I worked them both for quite a bit, yet I can't seem to fully get rid of the micro-scratches.

    The pictures were taken days apart, I apologize in the second one, it's a tad harder to see because of the sunlight.
    Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/iD21OXZ

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Michael The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    5,607
    Rep Power
    66

    Re: m105 + m205, left micro scratches (holograms?), can't seem to figure out how to f

    You don't mention if you are working by hand or machine.

    The second image looks like you may be dealing with soft paint. M205 does not always finish that well on softer paints. Does perfect finish also not finish well on this particular spot?

    The first image looks a little concerning to me. Could be clear coat failure.

  3. #3
    Product & Training Specialist Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    8,562
    Rep Power
    96

    Re: m105 + m205, left micro scratches (holograms?), can't seem to figure out how to f

    Quote Originally Posted by PNWDavid View Post
    Hello! I'm currently working on my Mercedes E350, with black paint. My goal is to practice getting the paint as close to perfect in order to apply a ceramic coat.

    I am working a small test spot, I first used m105 with a microfiber cutting pad from meguiar's . Then went over with m205 and a white pad. I cleaned my vehicle, clay barred, iron decontaminated, and finished off with a second rinse.
    I worked the area for quite some time with both compounds, and noticed the micro swirl marks. The paint in the test zone is significantly better than the rest of the car, but the holograming (not sure if the correct term) is quite heavy. I'm worried that perhaps I worked the m105 for a bit too long. I attempted to fix this by using m105 on an orange pad, then following with m205 on the white, then I attempted to work the spot with m205 on an orange pad and m105 with the white pad with no luck.

    All the pads and microfiber towels used were brand new straight from the package. I honestly am lost and don't know how to fix this. Any guidance is appreciated!

    Update: I ran m205 on an orange pad for a bit longer, followed by Sonax perfect finish on the orange pad as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I worked them both for quite a bit, yet I can't seem to fully get rid of the micro-scratches.

    The pictures were taken days apart, I apologize in the second one, it's a tad harder to see because of the sunlight.
    Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/iD21OXZ

    Thank you!
    When it comes to our M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, I have learned over the years, that whenever it is having trouble on a more sensitive/finicky/soft paint finishing out completely D/A Haze / Micro Mar / Tick Mar free, like you are going for, if you back way down on the amount of product you are using, the majority of the time, this can make a HUGE improvement, if not get the paint to finish out perfect. That said, you still want all the pores of the foam pad saturated with product, but once there, you want to clean the pad by using ideally a blow gun hooked up to compressed air. Compressed Air with a blow gun attachment is by far the best way to clean your pads on the fly, which is crucial when it comes to achieving the level of finish you are going for, especially on a more sensitive, darker colored car. Hope this helps & make sense.

    That said, our new M210 Ultra Pro Finishing Polish, personally BLEW ME AWAY when i first tried it with it's finish polishing ability, especially on darker, more sensitive paints. It is literally designed for this situation & offers TRUE refinement of the paint. It's IMO a must have for any getting into paint correction level type work.
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER AS A MEMBER FOR MEGUIAR'S ONLINE DISCUSSION FORUM

  4. #4
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: m105 + m205, left micro scratches (holograms?), can't seem to figure out how to f

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You don't mention if you are working by hand or machine.

    The second image looks like you may be dealing with soft paint. M205 does not always finish that well on softer paints. Does perfect finish also not finish well on this particular spot?

    The first image looks a little concerning to me. Could be clear coat failure.
    Hello!

    Sorry.
    I'm currently using the Griot's DA polisher, I start with a speed of 1 to spread it out, then bump it to a 4. I don't know the exact RPM. I frequently used an air compressor to clean the pads.

  5. #5
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: m105 + m205, left micro scratches (holograms?), can't seem to figure out how to f

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Winn View Post
    When it comes to our M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, I have learned over the years, that whenever it is having trouble on a more sensitive/finicky/soft paint finishing out completely D/A Haze / Micro Mar / Tick Mar free, like you are going for, if you back way down on the amount of product you are using, the majority of the time, this can make a HUGE improvement, if not get the paint to finish out perfect. That said, you still want all the pores of the foam pad saturated with product, but once there, you want to clean the pad by using ideally a blow gun hooked up to compressed air. Compressed Air with a blow gun attachment is by far the best way to clean your pads on the fly, which is crucial when it comes to achieving the level of finish you are going for, especially on a more sensitive, darker colored car. Hope this helps & make sense.

    That said, our new M210 Ultra Pro Finishing Polish, personally BLEW ME AWAY when i first tried it with it's finish polishing ability, especially on darker, more sensitive paints. It is literally designed for this situation & offers TRUE refinement of the paint. It's IMO a must have for any getting into paint correction level type work.
    Thank you so much for your advice, I ordered a bottle of M210. What pad would you recommend to be used? And how does it compare to M205? And yes I use an air compressor to clean the pads frequently between polishing.
    And a secondary question, How would you say should I approach the rest of the car? Should I just use m105 with an aggressive pad then follow up with M210 or perhaps a less aggressive pad such as a white/black? Again thank you so much for your feedback.

    Last question I promise! After I use the air compressor on the pads, they still seem wet of compound. Should I spray them longer? Or does it not matter?

  6. #6
    Michael The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    5,607
    Rep Power
    66

    Re: m105 + m205, left micro scratches (holograms?), can't seem to figure out how to f

    Quote Originally Posted by PNWDavid View Post
    Hello!

    Sorry.
    I'm currently using the Griot's DA polisher, I start with a speed of 1 to spread it out, then bump it to a 4. I don't know the exact RPM. I frequently used an air compressor to clean the pads.
    While you are picking up M210 get yourself some M110. It is much more user friendly than M105. With that said slow your arm movement down when using microfiber pads at speed 4 to 4.5. Cycle your pads every few panels for a new one.

    When you get M210 try it on a polishing pad but with less passes than compounding.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Scratches left behind
    By Edwin Gunawan in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 26th, 2019, 12:56 PM
  2. M205 holograms
    By eric.u in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Oct 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM
  3. can dc1 cause micro scratches
    By chris328 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM
  4. d151 left holograms
    By sudsbyhubbs in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Oct 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
  5. more micro scratches
    By cw50 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •