• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iron remover - yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron remover - yes or no?

Hi all

I've done a full detail a couple times on my brand new black car which included claying but I've never used an iron removing product such as Iron x on the paint.

I've been reading up on these type of products and have a couple questions.

1) Is something like this actually needed or is claying enough? I've read that claying might sheer off the tip of a contaminant but an iron remover will 'pull it out' of the paint. Some say claying within itself 'pulls out' contaminants but then others say it just 'sheers' off the edge. I don't understand how it pulls it out. Does that mean there are 'holes' left in the clear coat or is it some sort of osmosis process? I've owned many cars prior to fully getting into detailing and only ever washed them and the paint seemed to hold up for many years. The more i get into this the more i need to do!! As a side note i've noticed that iron decon is not part of Meguiar's 5 step detailing process.

2) There seems to be a couple ways you can order/arrange iron decon products within your process. Some clay then iron decon, others will decon then clay. My question revolves around an iron decon being able to remove your LSP (in particular HCW which i understand to be more durable). If an iron decon doesn't remove your LSP, then how is it penetrating that barrier and the paint to 'pull out' the iron?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by rover137; Aug 18, 2020, 11:31 PM.

Re: Iron remover - yes or no?

You will enjoy this write up

The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips An iron remover is one of those products you want to use but you don't actually w
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post

That was an interesting read, thanks.

Any thoughts on whether or not you should strip your wax before doing an iron decon?

Comment

Let me tell you story about how I found out that claying was not enough. When I first clayed my car it was all smooth and nice. I did a little more research and found out that I could do bag test which is just covering your hand with a thin plastic bag and running it on the paint to feel all the contaminates ( you can use those thing plastic bags from the produce section at the grocery store for better sensitivity). Anyways, So after claying I did this bag test and sure enough all was smooth and ready to go. SO then I proceeded to use Iron remover on the clayed surface. So I did the bag test again and to my surprise I felt the imperfections again.

I clayed again did the bag test all was smooth. Used Iron remover again and I felt the contaminates again. They just kept coming back. My conclusion was that the clay was simply sheering the top of the particles and hence why i felt a smooth finish after claying .But the Iron remover was actually eroding the particles that were sheered by the clay. So now I only do two passes with Iron remover and use a high pressure water to take them off. If you don't use high pressure water the slow flowing water will just move the contaminant around the paint and they will stay stuck o n your paint again. They are very stubborn so please use high pressure water, you can set your hose nozzle to "jet" setting for me that is enough.

You can do a claying after Iron remover to make sure no more contaminants are present. I usually have enough with my two Iron remover passes. I also do not do it often maybe twice or one time a year, since they are my daily drivers and they are going to get fallout very soon. Make sure you protect the pain good afterwards.

2) In my case the Iron remover has actually stripped my wax and sealant. My guess is that those Iron particles especially from the brakes are molted hot when they hit the paint and therefore get stuck on your wax or sealant. The Iron remover makes a chemical reaction with the iron so the particles can unbond from what ever coating, wax , sealant you have or from the clear coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlitos View Post
          Let me tell you story about how I found out that claying was not enough. When I first clayed my car it was all smooth and nice. I did a little more research and found out that I could do bag test which is just covering your hand with a thin plastic bag and running it on the paint to feel all the contaminates ( you can use those thing plastic bags from the produce section at the grocery store for better sensitivity). Anyways, So after claying I did this bag test and sure enough all was smooth and ready to go. SO then I proceeded to use Iron remover on the clayed surface. So I did the bag test again and to my surprise I felt the imperfections again.

I clayed again did the bag test all was smooth. Used Iron remover again and I felt the contaminates again. They just kept coming back. My conclusion was that the clay was simply sheering the top of the particles and hence why i felt a smooth finish after claying .But the Iron remover was actually eroding the particles that were sheered by the clay. So now I only do two passes with Iron remover and use a high pressure water to take them off. If you don't use high pressure water the slow flowing water will just move the contaminant around the paint and they will stay stuck o n your paint again. They are very stubborn so please use high pressure water, you can set your hose nozzle to "jet" setting for me that is enough.

You can do a claying after Iron remover to make sure no more contaminants are present. I usually have enough with my two Iron remover passes. I also do not do it often maybe twice or one time a year, since they are my daily drivers and they are going to get fallout very soon. Make sure you protect the pain good afterwards.

2) In my case the Iron remover has actually stripped my wax and sealant. My guess is that those Iron particles especially from the brakes are molted hot when they hit the paint and therefore get stuck on your wax or sealant. The Iron remover makes a chemical reaction with the iron so the particles can unbond from what ever coating, wax , sealant you have or from the clear coat.

That's interesting, thanks for your response!

So you do 2 rounds of iron decon and no clay? I think my hose has a fair bit of pressure so it should be all good on the 'jet' setting. Do you 'agitate' once you've sprayed it on or just pressure rinse it off? Perhaps another wash isn't a had idea after rinsing off or is this just overkill?

Can i ask which product you use? I'm yet to find a Megs iron decon here in Aus at our local auto stores.

I guess I'm adding another step to my process!
          Last edited by rover137; Aug 19, 2020, 10:10 PM.

Comment

I would plan to use Iron or Tar removers when you are planning to do an actual detail... meaning using some sort of wax, cleaner/wax, polish, etc as well.

It is buying another product, but at least the spray and rinse type.. not lots of extra work to do.

I tend to spray on the Iron remover, let sit, and rinse. Then wash the car.

If you do it regularly, like twice a year, same as claying, it wont build up much, and the first time will be the 'worst'. Unless parked right by railroad tracks or something all day.

IronX is also a good product, and I'm sure there are others.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would assume you would use "Surface Prep" after claying?

Comment

Originally posted by rover137 View Post
                That was an interesting read, thanks.

Any thoughts on whether or not you should strip your wax before doing an iron decon?
                Don't over think it. Use it as Murr mentioned and you will be fine.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

I would assume you would use "Surface Prep" after claying?
                  Sort of depends what you are doing....

But the big one is to use after claying/cleaning/polishing, and then use the Surface Prep before using the new ceramic coating.

Comment

Originally posted by rover137 View Post
                    That's interesting, thanks for your response!

So you do 2 rounds of iron decon and no clay? I think my hose has a fair bit of pressure so it should be all good on the 'jet' setting. Do you 'agitate' once you've sprayed it on or just pressure rinse it off? Perhaps another wash isn't a had idea after rinsing off or is this just overkill?

Can i ask which product you use? I'm yet to find a Megs iron decon here in Aus at our local auto stores.

I guess I'm adding another step to my process!
                    Two rounds works well for me. When you go to the second round you will see if you need more or not.The reason why I stopped using clay is because the clay I had was not very abrasive and I did not want to buy a higher abrasive clay and risk damaging the paint. My first time using Iron remover I did agitate it with a microfiber cloth but the fallout just stay there did not do much difference just more work. I do not wash between each round. If you want you can do a quick wash AFTER you are done with Iron remover before you are about to seal the paint. Depends if you have time. The first product I used was Nanoskin Ironfree, before Meguiar's product came out, On my next Iron removing job I will get Meguiar's Iron removing Spray and try it out.
                    Last edited by Carlitos; Aug 20, 2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                      Don't over think it. Use it as Murr mentioned and you will be fine.
                      Ok, i'll add it to the arsenal for when i do a large detail 1-2 times a year.

Do you use the iron remover on a slightly dirty car and then wash? Or wash, iron, wash?

I have access to Iron X here online so perhaps that is what i'll try first. Works out about $20 a per 1 car coat it looks... not exactly cheap so maybe a 1 time a year type thing for me.
                      Last edited by rover137; Aug 20, 2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I would say slightly dirty, rinse, use IronX, rinse, then wash. Of course at the point, I dont have as much to remove each time, so pretty mild. If it does seem real bad, then a second coat or more sprays can be used. If you do wheels, they can take a bit.

Not sure what size bottle you have available, I think I get 2 ish cars out of one bottle. But I also picked up the Meg Ult. Wheel Cleaner for wheels.

With them changing color, it is easy to spray a fairly light coat, look for color change, and then add some more where you see color. Dont add more where you dont see anything.

Comment

I don't let my car get too dirty either unless it's been raining lots and i can't really get out there to clean it. Maybe i'll do an iron decon before washing too as that sits a bit better with me i think rather than washing and going to an iron decon.

Do you clay as well or just iron decon? First time i clayed (after picking the car up and instructing the dealer to NOT touch it) i got nothing off but second time (6 months later) there was some grime in key areas. They come surprisingly dirty off the truck new.

I have Meg Ult. Wheel Cleaner as well but to tbh the 2 times I've used it (each major detail) it didn't really pick anything up. I've had the car since new and i wash and wax (Megs Ult. Quick wax) the wheels with every maintenance wash and all that is needed is a wipe down with some car wash soap and an old micro F and they are like new again.

Out of all the Iron removers available here in Aus Iron x appears to be the cheapest at about $40 AUD per 1L bottle (40 oz). That seems like a good one so i might just pick some of that up. I'm guessing that would give me 2 rounds?

I need to stop researching before i create another step in my cycle... Full detail (1-2 times yearly) for me will now include:

-Rinse then iron decon
                          -wash (including Ult. cleaner for wheels)
                          -Clay
                          -Spot correction with Ult. Compound
                          -Full polish with Ult. Polish (picking up a DA with pads shortly)
                          -Ult. Liquid Wax coat
                          -Hybrid Ceramic Wax (as you dry base coat about a week later)
                          -HCW (as you rinse about a week later)

Maintenance is Megs Gold Class and Ult. Quick Wax for wheels every wash and HCW every 1-2 monthsish (bug and tar remover as needed).

Does it look like I've missed anything?

Comment

Do you clay as well or just iron decon? First time i clayed (after picking the car up and instructing the dealer to NOT touch it) i got nothing off but second time (6 months later) there was some grime in key areas. They come surprisingly dirty off the truck new.
                            Yeah, I clay after... I got one of those clay towels, that are a bit rubberized... so I kind of wash a panel, clay a panel.

I have Meg Ult. Wheel Cleaner as well but to tbh the 2 times I've used it (each major detail) it didn't really pick anything up.
                            Yeah, I have one of the cheaper wheel cleaners for the 'in between' washes.

Out of all the Iron removers available here in Aus Iron x appears to be the cheapest at about $40 AUD per 1L bottle (40 oz). That seems like a good one so i might just pick some of that up. I'm guessing that would give me 2 rounds?
                            Probably... like I said, spray light, and see where the color is.

I need to stop researching before i create another step in my cycle... Full detail (1-2 times yearly) for me will now include:

-Ult. Liquid Wax coat
                            -Hybrid Ceramic Wax (as you dry base coat about a week later)
                            -HCW (as you rinse about a week later)

Maintenance is Megs Gold Class and Ult. Quick Wax for wheels every wash and HCW every 1-2 monthsish (bug and tar remover as needed).
                            Not sure I would worry about the Ult. Wax, unless just looking to use it up. 2 coats of HCW would be fine.

I would look at the Hybrid Ceramic Detailer (green bottle), or the Hybrid Ceramic Spray (blue bottle) as the maintenance after regular washes.

TarX is good as well, though that does need agitated a bit on the surface. I'd plan on it removing wax and stuff though, so that is kind of a twice a year thing for me as well, unless really bad. So IronX, TarX, wash.

And well, you know, there's always the interior....

Comment

I watched a Chicago Detailers video, going through Meguiar's products. They sold me on the "Surface Prep" after claying and have only used it once so far. From a novice view, I liked what I saw. My concern is when I went over the paint with a plastic bag I felt a couple of grainy spots I would like to remedy. Would I be correct to Iron decon those areas, wash, clay, surface prep, wax? I have asked this already, yet I am still apprehensive on how to proceed.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');