• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White impacts after using Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White impacts after using Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0

Hello,

I wanted to erase some scratches due to bumping car door and others on my car doors, so I used Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0, that I applied on clean car (high pressure car wash), cold bodywork, in the shade, with a proper applier (by hand) and a microfiber, without putting too much pression on it.

On one side of the car, everything was ok, but on the other one, especially on the upper zone of the car door where I used the polish, it resulted that some white impacts appeared.
    I didn't notice it immediately, although I thoroughly and closely looked at the result of polishing (with the flash of my smartphone, and then under the sun, but the car was put under the sun only hours after finishing the polishing).
    I noticed it after a one-hour car ride.

My question is : can the polish be responsible of it, in spite of all the precautions I took ? I know polish can leave traces or micro scratches, but impacts ??
    Can it be existing impacts that got more visible with the polish getting into it ? Could polishing weaken the glaze that got more sensitive to gravels on the road ?

Here you have the photo.

Thank you.

Re: White impacts after using Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0

stcyprien31,

Sorry to hear about this. The picture/pictures did not come through so it is difficult to say what might be the issue. It is also difficult from your description to understand exactly what it is that may have happened. Not sure if this is product residue, hazing/fine scratches, pre-exisiting rock chips? It is likely after seeing pictures we will be able to diagnose the issue but tough to say at this point. Much of your description sounds like you may have had pre-existing rock chips and the product left a residue in the chips. This usually happens on the front end of a car but this would explain why it only happened on one side of the car.

Here is a video on how best to apply a compound by hand. It is ideal to apply the product with a foam applicator pad and remove with a high quality microfiber towel. This may have nothing to do with the issue here but this is good information either way.

So, your car’s not looking quite as good as it used to, and you would like to dedicate some extra time detailing the paint to getting it looking its best. Yo...
    Brian Hann
    Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, California
    bhann@meguiars.com
    (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

The photo appears to me... I just "copy-paste" it. There is an option to add photo by URL, but I don't get it, as the photo is in my phone, it has no URL

Comment

Here you have the photo in WeTransfer : https://we.tl/t-c9RtmO9KWq
        The white points are in depression (you can feel it under your nail), and the white doesn't go away with a microfiber / soap / water / alcohol.

I hadn't noticed that much impacts before polishing, neither did I just after finishing the work, this is weird.
        Seems like it appeared after.

Is it possible that a bad technique of polishing lead to this type of thing ?

Comment

Yes, these are indeed rock chips / physical damage that were preexisting. You basically put a white product into these chips/crevices which then makes them much more noticeable and is difficult to remove because the towel just wipes over the flat smooth part of the paint and does not remove product residue from the chips. Unfortunately this could have happened with any number of compounds, polishes, or waxes.

You will have to take a good all purpose cleaner or wax/grease remover and clean these areas to get the residue out.
          Brian Hann
          Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
          Meguiar's Inc.
          Irvine, California
          bhann@meguiars.com
          (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

Working...
            X