• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input on wetsanding/polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input on wetsanding/polishing

I have a 15 year old Honda Accord with a rock chipped hood - looks peppered with a lot of chips. A respray probably would be best, but I don't want to invest the $. It doesn't need to be perfect; 75% is fine with me as my kids drives it and that's all they need. I'm considering Dr. Color, but also looking for other input on filling the spots, compounding/wet sanding them down and then polish.

I have a 7424 DA and a Makita rotary. I admit, it's been a while since I've dug into this sort of project. I've lost touch on the pads I should use to remove 1,500 and 2,500 marks. Same for the product - used 105 before and it seemed to do a nice job. Can someone please detail this out for me - pads and product to pull back 1,500 and 2,500 up to a mirror shine?

If I filled the spots and then wet sanded with 1,500 and then 2,500, what pad/product combo do you suggest to remove the scratches and then build the shine up? I prefer to stick with the DA as I am more comfortable with it. But, I also know then entire car is going to need attention as it's marred up pretty good. Not so much chips as just marring, swirls and surface scratches - clear, only.

Look forward to input and thank you for your time!
    Shumax

Re: Input on wetsanding/polishing

For kids on 2006 Honda, you might just hide with Dr ColorChip.
    Here is a video with Mike PHilips and the President of Dr. COlorChip.
    Dan McCool and Mike Phillips show you step by step how to use the Dr. Color Chip Repair System to quickly do rock chip repair work to any car.Step 1Inspect t...

Comment

Here is an example of Dr ColorChip on a 2018 Honda Midnight Burgundy Pearl.
      Pictures from Meguiar's 8/8 Thursday Night Open Garage

This was meant to hide, not be a 100% invisible repair. It hid very well.

Comment

There are 2 other compounds that like M105 can help with 3000 grit sandpaper marks.
        M100 and the new M110. I find that both are a little less dusty than M105.

Comment

M110, or M100 on a microfiber cutting pad should take care of those sanding marks on the 7424.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');