• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assessing paint condition on used car just bought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assessing paint condition on used car just bought

I apologise if this has been covered before, but I did try a search. (If it has, please feel free to just give the the link or links.)

I have just bought a car, a 17 year old MX5 in very good condition. Garnet Red. I am an existing usier of Meguiar's products (on a much older MX5, and they worked great).

I want to do the right thing by the paint on the new car right from the get-go, so rather than just launching in, I am looking for some Meguiar's advice on assessing the paint condition. And what that condition means for product choice.

Thank you.

Re: Assessing paint condition on used car just bought

What products do you have on hand when it comes to compounds and polishes. The number one thing after a chemical and mechanical decontaminatio (aka clay) is to do the good old test spot with a polish and polishing pad. Then inspect the finish and if its to your liking then proceed. If not then you can proceed to compound and then polish.

No doubt after 17 years it has some swirls and scratches.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I can get any products that are necessary.
      The very good condition includes, I believe the paint. But that's what I want to assess.
      I wouldn't have thought that it was bad enough to need a clay bar, but I may be wrong - how do I determine if it does need one?
      I was hoping for a set of steps that led to a diagnosis of paint condition.

Comment

Found the answer thanks. (Sorry, should have searched a bit harder.)

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');