• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steps For Removing Scratches and Waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steps For Removing Scratches and Waxing

I want to make sure I understand the proper steps. I have a silver 2015 VW Passat. The car is in great shape except for a few mostly minor things. I have a few fine scratches, 1 pretty major scratch, and a line/scuff across the back of the trunk that goes away after washing and reappears.

1. Use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner

2. Use Ultimate Compound or ScratchX to remove fine scratches. Do I also need to use clay?

3. Use Ultimate Polish. Is this necessary after using Ultimate Compound/ScratchX?

4. Use Ultimate Liquid Wax, Ultimate Fast Finish, or some other wax. What is recommended?

Thanks for the time and help.
    Last edited by mich81; Nov 11, 2020, 02:43 PM.

Re: Steps For Removing Scratches and Waxing

You may be able to just use Ultimate Polish for the majority, and use the Ultimate Compound on the specific areas with heavier damage.

There have been a few times where I could use Ultimate Polish on the top surfaces, but had to use Ultimate Compound on the lower areas where the car wash brushes are most aggressive, then follow with Ultimate Polish.

Comment

For wax, I've been using Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax. I did use the now discontinued M16 on my gf's truck a few days ago..

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I've not yet decided on the Hybrid Ceramic Wax, Ultimate Fast Finish, or Ultimate Liquid Wax.

How about the 3 in 1 Wax? Since I have mostly small minor scratches, can I use this instead of compound and polish? Would it work good?
        Last edited by mich81; Nov 12, 2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

By hand, I wouldnt plan on much improvement with anything. By machine, yeah, the 3-in-1 can do a good job.

There is a video over at autogeek's youtube channel with Mike Phillips using the 3-in-1 and some polishers.

Mike goes over his new customer kit that will help you land the job and both guys will go over some products that will help you start off right with your new...

If you did the 3-in-1 wax, and wanted a second coat, you would want to use the Ult. Wax, Fast Finish products. The Ceramic and coatings, etc are going to want to be on the paint.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Ok I'm not going to use the 3 in 1. I'll use the Ultimate Polish and then use a liquid wax. Should I just use the polish on the areas where the is a minor scratch or should I do the entire car?

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');