• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deionized Water vs. Distilled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deionized Water vs. Distilled

I've recently acquired some D155 Last Touch Detailer Spray to use as a QD as well as clay lube.

In diluting for clay lube (1:1), i've read it is best to use distilled water. I just went to the supermarket here in Aus and could only find Deionized water.

Do you think deionized water will do the trick or do i need to get some distilled water?

From what i can gather the differences are:

When extremely high purity water (double or triple distilled) is not required, many people look to the cost of deionized water vs. distilled water when choosing between the two. The distillation process can take a relatively long time, especially when large amounts of water need to be boiled, cooled, and collected. In addition, this process requires fuel to heat the water and a sterile container to store it in. When distilled water is exposed to the air over time, it essentially becomes deionized water.

Deionization, on the other hand, can be performed relatively quickly – especially if a mixed bed resin is used, so the water only needs to pass through one time. Many deionized water systems use two mixed bed cartridges or tanks, helping to ensure that all ions have been removed, but it's still a relatively fast process when compared to distillation. In addition, deionization is a chemical process, so energy is only typically needed to monitor the process and move the water through the system. If the DI resin is regenerated on site, this can add both time and expense to the process

Last edited by rover137; Dec 13, 2020, 09:09 PM.
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');