• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot wheels chrome wheel cleaner stained my chrome wheels!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot wheels chrome wheel cleaner stained my chrome wheels!

I have used meguiars hot wheels chrome wheel cleaner to clean my 2017 Corvette Grand Sport's factory uncoated chrome wheels, and it has left white streaks all over the wheels that won't come off with water, soap or a regular wheel cleaner. It also stained the concrete, but that's another story.

I rinsed the wheels with water, then used the wheel cleaner and removed the product within 15 seconds and then rinsed with water again and dried completley with a microfiber cloth. I followed the instructions exactly. I suppose it may be that some of the product remained invisible to the naked eye and stained the wheels overnight. If a product requires half an hour of rinsing to remove it then I don't think it's a suitable product.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Re: Hot wheels chrome wheel cleaner stained my chrome wheels!

Lancevance,

Sorry to hear about your experience. It appears you also sent an email to our Solutions Hub yesterday. That is the appropriate route to handle this type of issue. It is a busy Monday morning after a holiday weekend but we are usually very good about responding in a timely manner so please patiently await a reply there.

At first glance, this scenario and picture would indicate that these wheels are likely not true chrome but some other type more sensitive metal designed to look like chrome. Chrome Wheel Cleaners are typically the most aggressive wheel cleaners. They are very safe and work very well on true chrome but must be used exclusively on true chrome.

On another note, the warnings on the back of the Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner also warn against use on painted/colored brake components. Considering your yellow calipers this would also be unsafe for use on these wheels.

Again, so sorry to hear about this. Please reply to your email when a rep reaches out to you later today.
    Last edited by Brian Hann; Jan 4, 2021, 11:02 AM.
    Brian Hann
    Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, California
    bhann@meguiars.com
    (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hann View Post
      Lancevance,

Sorry to hear about your experience. It appears you also sent an email to our Solutions Hub yesterday. That is the appropriate route to handle this type of issue. It is a busy Monday morning after a holiday weekend but we are usually very good about responding in a timely manner so please patiently await a reply there.

At first glance, this scenario and picture would indicate that these wheels are likely not true chrome but some other type more sensitive metal designed to look like chrome. Chrome Wheel Cleaners are typically the most aggressive wheel cleaners. They are very safe and work very well on true chrome but must be used exclusively on true chrome.

On another note, the warnings on the back of the Hot Rims Chrome Wheel Cleaner also warn against use on painted/colored brake components. Considering your yellow calipers this would also be unsafe for use on these wheels.

Again, so sorry to hear about this. Please reply to your email when a rep reaches out to you later today.
      Hi Brian,

These are OEM wheels, which are true uncoated chrome. GM can verify this for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancevance View Post
        Hi Brian,

These are OEM wheels, which are true uncoated chrome. GM can verify this for you.
        I haven't heard back from the customer service team yet, Brian

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');