• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ULW over Cleaner Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ULW over Cleaner Wax?

I have a 2016 minivan that I bought last year. Did clay bar and applied Ultimate Compound last year to address swirl marks visible in the sunlight. They still seem to be present. I'm concerned about repeating the process as I tend to hang on to my vehicles and I don't want to cut too deep into the clear coat. I understand Ultimate Compound is likely more abrasive than the Cleaner wax, so I may just live with the swirl marks. Thinking of applying Cleaner Wax then ULW, mostly because I already have them on hand. Waste of time? Should I just go with one or the other?

Thanks.

Re: ULW over Cleaner Wax?

Which do you feel is more likely for your processes?

1) Did your use of UC not fully remove many of the small scratches last year?
    2) Did your washing/cleaning processes used in this last year add new scratches (examples, brushes, drive through car wash, dirt caught in towels)?

Comment

You should be OK to put Ultimate Liquid Wax over Cleaner Wax.

If you like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, take a look at Meguiar's new 3 In 1 Wax.
      For under $20, it might get you better results, while also offering a little more protection until you over lay it with Ultimate Liquid Wax.
      Here is the Product Introduction Thread.
      Meguiar's 3 in 1 Wax (meguiarsonline.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
        Which do you feel is more likely for your processes?
        1) Did your use of UC not fully remove many of the small scratches last year?
        2) Did your washing/cleaning processes used in this last year add new scratches (examples, brushes, drive through car wash, dirt caught in towels)?
        Thanks for your reply. It doesn't seem UC removed much of the swirls. Maybe some. The vehicle is in good condition but I suspect it had its fair share of automatic washes by its previous owner, whereas I prefer handwashing and I am diligent about keeping my towels and mitt clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
          You should be OK to put Ultimate Liquid Wax over Cleaner Wax.

If you like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, take a look at Meguiar's new 3 In 1 Wax.
          For under $20, it might get you better results, while also offering a little more protection until you over lay it with Ultimate Liquid Wax.
          Here is the Product Introduction Thread.
          Meguiar's 3 in 1 Wax (meguiarsonline.com)
          Thanks for the info. It's tempting but I'll have to go through two bottles of the "old" CW before I move on to the 3-in-1.

Comment

Did you apply the Ultimate Compound by hand or machine polisher?

Comment

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
              Did you apply the Ultimate Compound by hand or machine polisher?
              By hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo Fender View Post
                By hand.
                You have reached the limitation of what can be done by hand. You would have to venture into machine polishing to get better results.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

To add on to the comments, you can adjust the cut by the method or the pad. In this case you've reached the pressure you can by hand via pad, you can either use a more aggressive pad or step up to a DA polisher.

Another alternative is to fill and hide the swirls via glazes if you are more cautious about clearcoat. Meguiars Show Car Glaze, or if you want to spend more $$ Carpro Essence is what I would try (or Chemical Guys Glossworkz.) Carpro Essence is advertised to add more clearcoat thickness since it has semi-permanent resins in it.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');