• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just painted polish without sanding ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just painted polish without sanding ?

Not sure why but the forum keep cutting my post ,
    i reposted the question in the 3rd post
    thanks
    Originally posted by Pjackb View Post
    Hi
    I just got one of my car painted, the prep work was flawless and the paint was laid down really well and has very minimal orange peel. This is not a show car and I do not need a full mirror shine therefore I do not intend to get a full wet sand and polish done on it (especially since they charge about $2K for a quality job in my area.)

My real question however is if a polish is worth it and will it make the paint “pop” the car is completely stripped of everything so it’s the right time to do it.
    this is the list of products I have on hand M105, M205, M305, Ult Compound, Ult Polish, M26 and AG SRP.
    I have a nice rotary and a budget DA from Eastwood but because I am inexperienced I would prefer to use the DA on the new paint.

I was thinking to do the 105, 205,305 combo since it says they are safe for new paint but again the big question is will it be worth all the work without sanding ?
    Last edited by Pjackb; Jul 22, 2021, 05:06 AM.

Re: Just painted , polish without sanding ?

It looks like the font your device is using is sending an "End of File" character for the apostrophe.
    Try entering your message again and skip the apostrophe. Example use " I am".

Comment

Hi
      I just got one of my car painted, the prep work was flawless and the paint was laid down really well and has very minimal orange peel. This is not a show car and I do not need a full mirror shine therefore I do not intend to get a full wet sand and polish done on it (especially since they charge about $2K for a quality job in my area.)

My real question however is if a polish is worth it and will it make the paint “pop” the car is completely stripped of everything so it’s the right time to do it.
      this is the list of products I have on hand M105, M205, M305, Ult Compound, Ult Polish, M26 and AG SRP.
      I have a nice rotary and a budget DA from Eastwood but because I am inexperienced I would prefer to use the DA on the new paint.

I was thinking to do the 105, 205,305 combo since it says they are safe for new paint but again the big question is will it be worth all the work without sanding ?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
        It looks like the font your device is using is sending an "End of File" character for the apostrophe.
        Try entering your message again and skip the apostrophe. Example use " I am".
        Thanks Not sure why it’s doing this I reposted the question

Comment

Re: Just painted polish without sanding ?

First. I would contact the painter and ask how long the paint should be left to cure or off gas before working on it.

It is normally best to use test spots, working from least aggressive to more aggressive until you get the results you desire.
          This means not starting with M105. Instead start with UP or M305. If that results are not good enough, then move to M205 or M210. Then only if the results are not met, try the M105 or UC.

Comment

"Will it be worth all the work without sanding?"

That depends on the quality of the paint preparation and paint job, plus how the paint reacts to the processes.

Comment

First. I would contact the painter and ask how long the paint should be left to cure or off gas before working on it.

It is normally best to use test spots, working from least aggressive to more aggressive until you get the results you desire.
              This means not starting with M105. Instead start with UP or M305. If that results are not good enough, then move to M205 or M210. Then only if the results are not met, try the M105 or UC.
              Thanks He told me 48hrs and the following are the recommendation by Dupont for the clear coat used
              I'm not sure which is a finishing compound or polish

Comment

Thanks He told me wait 48hrs and I wont get to it before at least a couple weeks .

the following are the recommendation by Dupont for the clear coat used I'm not sure which of what I have is a finishing compound or polish or if I need to get something else

Comment

Here is a video where Mike Stoops speaks of the benefits of doing test spots.

Comment

I like this video from Mike Stoops on Test Spots.
                    This truly is one of Mike Stoops best educational videos. Congratulations Mike.
                    Last edited by Old Bear; Jul 22, 2021, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');