• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Want to Know What Product to Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Want to Know What Product to Use

I picked up 2 new fenders for my 30 year old black truck. They came primed - looked quite good even without. Anyways, as per a couple videos I watched I painted them as follows:
    • Scuffed with a scotch pad
    • Cleaned with a wax/grease remover
    • Wiped with a tack cloth
    • Painted with 3 coats of Dupli-Color Primer Sealer (rattle cans)
    • Painted with 3 coats (actually a few more) of Dupli-Color Black (rattle cans)
    • Painted with 3 coats of Dominion Sure Seal High Gloss Instant Clear Coat (rattle cans)

At the moment the fenders actually look quite good. However, I want to do the right thing at this point without going overboard (the rest of the truck certainly isn't the best looking and has rust). My thought is to buff up the fenders with something (not sure what - a cutting polish or something) to bring out a bit more lustre/smoothness and then to wax with something.

My question is what should I be using. I have watched a number of videos on this and looked at an abundance of info online etc. It seems Meguiars products are a very good choice but my golly there is so many products (seemingly for the same things) - I am lost. One guy i watched on youtube (whose direction I was more or less following on the painting and seemed like me to be taking a modest/simple approach) evidently polished with a product called Meguiars Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0 (with a #9 on the bottle). Then I assume he waxed it. Anyways, I see a range of Meguiar's products that 'may' be applicable (a sample of which I have listed below):
    • Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    • Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
    • Meguiar's Ultra Cut Compound (#105)
    • Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish(#205)
    • Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax
    • Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax
    • There also seems to be 'Mirror Glaze' versions of these things as well as lots more

So what might the suggestion be for a simple approach (and what products should I consider)? Also, would like to just do by hand - don't have a polisher and again the rest of the truck isn't perfect - although I can certainly do the same routine on the rest of the truck to improve it as well. Would it be reasonable just to do an Ultimate Polish and then a wax. Would the Mirror Glaze Swirl Remover 2.0 be a better option?

Any/all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Just Want to Know What Product to Use

I would consider using the Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. They are pretty user friendly, and are effective by hand.

M105, and M205 are good too. The Ultimate products are derived from M105 and M205, and not quite as aggressive over all as the professional products.

Maybe consider the new M110 and M210. Latest technology, positioned to represent the evolution of M105 and M205. In my experience, they are extremely effective, easy to use, and produce great results.

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');