• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time tackling paint care - used Ultimate Compound, not sure how to proceed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time tackling paint care - used Ultimate Compound, not sure how to proceed

Hello all,

Been using a car that I may have neglected for a year or two. I never really got into cars and mostly owned motorcycles, and honestly I though that once the paint starts going, you have to have it repainted. I don't believe I'm stupid, but this was just a random assumption I had always carried, for absolutely no reason.

There are dark spots and some minor fading, however the spots can occasionally appear as light. This makes it difficult for a novice to determine if they are water spots or some funky chemical wax residue from quick-wash car washes.

I tackled the hood first, which was nowhere near as bad as the roof, and for my first try ever at anything, it came out halfway decent. The problem is I have a relatively low powered polisher. It's not a beefy one and with not much pressure the rotational aspect seems to give out. You can barely lay it on the car with a microfiber pad without the spin stopping and it just vibrates.

Enough ramble, I only have a few pictures of it. What I'm thinking for the roof is that I tackled too big an area, my tool is underpowered, and I didn't work the Compound enough.

Please let me know if that's the case, some tips, as well as how to proceed.

Thank you

https://ibb.co/pnVH32G

Re: First time tackling paint care - used Ultimate Compound, not sure how to proceed

Yeah, may have to choose between shining it up and really removing defects. As you noted, your machine isnt really going to remove scratches, swirls, defects.

You may find that it ends up just as easy/hard to apply by hand with some pressure to the roof with an applicator pad, and work it in a bit and wipe off. That will certainly shine it up at least, and possibly less messing around. By hand can **** of course, but if you are doing a panel a day, just for a shine, no big deal.

Not sure on plans after that, but something like the 3-in-1 Wax would be a good follow up to the UC, and for future use.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: First time tackling paint care - used Ultimate Compound, not sure how to proceed

So will I be able to make the roof look like the hood? There seem to be very tiny cracklings in the paint, it doesn't look like standard "crow's feet" after Googling, it's like a web of super small, non deep cracks...

Is that fixable worth Ultimate or am I screwed?

Comment

If it's really failing, then screwed...

I'd just apply some by hand and see how it goes...
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Looks like it is time for a respray. The clear coat is failing on the roof. Polishing will only speed up the failure process.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Good evening everyone! Kooky is in south florida, lots of abusive sun that kills clear coat. Sadly, that clear coat is probably dying a slow death. A good DA and a wool pad should clean it up with some Ultimate cleaner or even some 105. But as previously said, the more you work it, the thinner the remaining clear coat becomes. If its a work car, you could do a wet sand and re-clear it yourself, on the roof anyway

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');