• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car, in Midwest: winter is coming, help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car, in Midwest: winter is coming, help please?

Hi! I'm hoping for a quicker follow up than I got from the last thread I posted (in the I'm new area), so I am trying in here. I live in Ohio, and I use my car for work. Needless to say: I will get snow and ice (And the dreaded salt), and I refuse to pay for an automatic car wash to scratch my vehicle, or spend an hour in a self serve wash in freezing temps.

My garage can't be used for a traditional car wash (limited drainage), and I am looking for a product I can use in the winter to keep my new Jeep semi clean from the ice, snow and salt (at least) . I'm not looking for perfection, just a cleaner that I can use every few days to remove the grime from the winter weather.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: New car, in Midwest: winter is coming, help please?

Before winter gets here, get a base layer of one of the quality Meguiar’s protective products on your car. At a minimum, Ultimate liquid/paste Wax. Just remember most Meguiar's product work best when applied at temperatures above 50-55 degrees.

Expect to wash your car often or watch it turn white with salt residue. Winters are tough both on the car and you! Granted washing a car often in the winter will wear down products you’ve used to protect your car. Really winter is a no win situation.

You’ve ruled out your garage, unless it’s heated and has proper drainage with a mud/sand pit for all the **** you’ll wash off the car.

Options include buying a five gallon bucket with a screw lid and filling it with hot water and head to a manual wash bay with doors on the bay that you can close. Rinse the car off with the high pressure sprayer, then mix a quality soap in the bucket and hand wash the car. Use a second bucket for a traditional two bucket wash. Dry the car using a spray wax or detailer and a quality microfiber cloth.

Another option is going to a touch-less car wash. I suggest selecting the wash menu item that includes the undercarriage spray and a blow dry. Sometimes, I’ve done a cheap auto wash to get the large particles and salt off then drive into a bay and do a hand wash and dry.

Can’t find a touch-less car wash? Go to the newer washes that are touching or touch-less like a “Kwik Star” gas station that has a dual function operation that has a button on the money machine that allows you to switch touching operation to touch-less operation.

Then check at a staffed touching wash and ask the staff if they can turn off the brushes or foam paddles. One called, “Foam Car Wash” will turn off their foam paddles when you ask.

Unfortunately, nearly everything you do or don’t do, your car suffers, especially when it’s so cold car washes close and it’s too cold in an unheated garage to wash. Even the drive home from a car wash can undo everything you did at the car wash.

If you consider a staffed car wash, ask about their “limit-less” washes. Avoid staffed washes that do a little pre-wash service with a brush. Tell them NO BRUSHES. Also avoid staffed washes the hand dry your car with rags…ugh…hard on the paint.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    David

Comment

You will want to consider our Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax...

Brian Hann
      Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
      Meguiar's Inc.
      Irvine, California
      bhann@meguiars.com
      (800) 854-8073 *3870

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
        Before winter gets here, get a base layer of one of the quality Meguiar’s protective products on your car. At a minimum, Ultimate liquid/paste Wax. Just remember most Meguiar's product work best when applied at temperatures above 50-55 degrees.

Expect to wash your car often or watch it turn white with salt residue. Winters are tough both on the car and you! Granted washing a car often in the winter will wear down products you’ve used to protect your car. Really winter is a no win situation.

You’ve ruled out your garage, unless it’s heated and has proper drainage with a mud/sand pit for all the **** you’ll wash off the car.

Options include buying a five gallon bucket with a screw lid and filling it with hot water and head to a manual wash bay with doors on the bay that you can close. Rinse the car off with the high pressure sprayer, then mix a quality soap in the bucket and hand wash the car. Use a second bucket for a traditional two bucket wash. Dry the car using a spray wax or detailer and a quality microfiber cloth.

Another option is going to a touch-less car wash. I suggest selecting the wash menu item that includes the undercarriage spray and a blow dry. Sometimes, I’ve done a cheap auto wash to get the large particles and salt off then drive into a bay and do a hand wash and dry.

Can’t find a touch-less car wash? Go to the newer washes that are touching or touch-less like a “Kwik Star” gas station that has a dual function operation that has a button on the money machine that allows you to switch touching operation to touch-less operation.

Then check at a staffed touching wash and ask the staff if they can turn off the brushes or foam paddles. One called, “Foam Car Wash” will turn off their foam paddles when you ask.

Unfortunately, nearly everything you do or don’t do, your car suffers, especially when it’s so cold car washes close and it’s too cold in an unheated garage to wash. Even the drive home from a car wash can undo everything you did at the car wash.

If you consider a staffed car wash, ask about their “limit-less” washes. Avoid staffed washes that do a little pre-wash service with a brush. Tell them NO BRUSHES. Also avoid staffed washes the hand dry your car with rags…ugh…hard on the paint.

Thank you for taking the time to give me all those details! I have applied the Maguiar's Hybrid Liquid Ceramic Wax (applicator, not spray) twice a week since I bought the vehicle and drove it off the lot July 6th. We have a lot of stones on our roads and I'm super paranoid. Do you think continuing to do that will carry me through the winter if I use the ultimate waterless wash and wax through the winter months?
        Last edited by RHD Jeep Mail Carrier; Sep 16, 2021, 02:00 PM. Reason: fix bad quote and no answer

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Hann View Post
          You will want to consider our Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax...

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/...26-26-oz-spray
          Going to check it out right now. Thank you SO much!

Edit: K, I ordered a bottle, is this going to work for me through the winter after applying Maguiar's Hybrid Liquid Ceramic Wax (applicator, not spray) twice a week since I bought the vehicle and drove it off the lot July 6th?

I can heat my garage (with a salamander) enough to get it near or above freezing for long enough to clean my vehicle every couple of days. Will I be good?
          Last edited by RHD Jeep Mail Carrier; Sep 16, 2021, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Mail Carrier, Brian has given you excellent advice.

Having lived on a gravel road a portion of my life, frost boils, pot holes and ruts were a way of life. If your road rocks are limestone, the limestone dust creates a coating on your car that is another concern along with the ice, snow, and salt of winter. My wife’s family still lives on a gravel road. If we go visit them, we take her car!!

As you may already know, use caution with a salamander in closed garage.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            David

Comment

Originally posted by wifpd4 View Post
              Mail Carrier, Brian has given you excellent advice.

Having lived on a gravel road a portion of my life, frost boils, pot holes and ruts were a way of life. If your road rocks are limestone, the limestone dust creates a coating on your car that is another concern along with the ice, snow, and salt of winter. My wife’s family still lives on a gravel road. If we go visit them, we take her car!!

As you may already know, use caution with a salamander in closed garage.

Absolutely! Always attentive when using a heating device in the garage. Thank you so much for your help. I'm excited to know I can take care of my vehicle and have it clean and professional while I do my job.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');