• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vintage cars and preserviing yellow dichromate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage cars and preserviing yellow dichromate

The engine detailing forum does not appear to have much activity. I thought I would post here. If that is an error, I apologize.

I have some 60's era parts that were first coated with zinc and then went through the yellow dichromate bath. They are a bit dull but still the proper yellow, no corrosion. Putting the car back together. Part of me is inclined just to put it together and do nothing but I keep looking at my boxes of metal polishing, quick detailing, wax type products and thinking that there must be a way to preserve that finish.

I don't want to do anything that would cut it.

Has anyone come up with a way to skin this cat?

Thanks

Re: vintage cars and preserviing yellow dichromate

I've had some luck with WD-40. Spray it on let it soak in then wipe off. This is not a permanent fix and may take reapplications every few months.
    Bill Strobel
    aka theamcguy
    Owner Independent Towing
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All.

Comment

Originally posted by theamcguy View Post
      I've had some luck with WD-40. Spray it on let it soak in then wipe off. This is not a permanent fix and may take reapplications every few months.
      Thanks, That leads me down a different train of thought. I was about to try a paste wax but was unsure of what that would do overtime in a hot engine compartment.

WD-40 could be a good solution but I've found the reapplications can form a gummy mess overtime. There is a less common product called Boeshield T-9 that I used for a non automotive use that may be another option. I recall it was originally developed to prevent spools of cable from rusting while providing some lubrication. Use has expanded over time. A buddy uses it on his boat. I may see if I can borrow a little bit to try in an inconspicuous place.

It does do a little rust conversion, need to confirm it does not wash off the dichromate tint.

Thanks again. I will update the thread when I come to a conclusion.

Superior Corrosion Protection, Rust Inhibitor, Metal Protection, Waterproof Lubricant, Multipurpose Formula, Long-Lasting Protection

Comment

I've been using the Boeshield for over ten years on customers outboard engines to reduce corrosion under the cowling. There are only a few fasteners that have what looks like dichromate coating, and I've not seen any colour change. The main thing I am using it for is to protect unfinished aluminum from salt water corrosion, and to try to keep the dissimilar metal corrosion at bay, and it does a great job at that. I have not seen it do any rust conversion, only prevention. Mercury Marine sells a product called Corrosion Guard, which sprays on like a thin wax film, which is great for preventing corrosion, but over time leaves a dull finish, which it sounds like you are trying to avoid. The T-9 leaves a shinier finish.
        Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

Comment

Update- just found a spare axle nut from my 9-5 which looks like yellow dichromate coating. Gave it a spray with the T-9 and a quick wipedown. It cleaned off the dirt and left it looking new. No signs of the coating being removed or colour changing.
          Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The parts I was most concerned with were the headlight and wiper door vacuum actuators on a c3 corvette. I decided to go the conservative route and just wiped them down with a little collenite 845 that I forgot I even had. I suspect that will be fine. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');