• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to start detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to start detailing?

Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased a new car, and I need some advice. Since my car is brand new from factory, do I need to start detailing my car from step 1? Can I just use speed detailer after a car wash?

Also, how do you wash your wash mitts, MF towels, etc.., and do you wash them after each usuage?

Thank you^^;

hey g35!
    here's a thread to get you started.... http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ght=five+cycle

Comment

Many factors determine your plan of attack before you detail your vehicle. The newness of the vehicle is one but in no way should it be the only determining factor.

It would be reasonable to expect that the finish on a new vehicle would be in pristine condition but sadly that is hardly the case. Your vehicle could have been parked in a storage lot going weeks or months without being washed and/or have had a less than capable “detailer” perform a detailing or get ready service before you took delivery of it.

Unfortunately it is far too common for new vehicles to have a seriously contaminated paint finish and /or “dealer installed swirl marks” as well as other paint imperfections and defects.

My advice would be to start from the beginning with a proper diagnosis. Ask yourself how does your finish look and feel? Why does it look that way? How much time and effort are you willing to spend on it? The answers to those questions combined with your knowledge and experience will determine the products you will use to detail your vehicle.
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

“dealer installed swirl marks”
        Is that a standard option???? or does it come with a package?

Alex
        Mandarina Racing

Comment

Thanks for the advice and help everyone!

Sadly, I was only able to find the Deep Crystal Car Wash, Quik Interior Detailer, and NXT Speed Detailer at my local dealers. Anyhow, after washing my car and drying it, I notice that some area of my exterior car paints have like brown tiny circle spots. This is only visable from very close distance. I was not able to remove it with regular washing or the Speed Detailer. Also, these spots are on the extreme metal trimming of my window.

Are these contaminants? If they are, I assume I should use the NXT Generation™ All Metal Polysh for my metal trim around my windows. What about my car paint?

Kind of dissappointing to buy a new car with this. =(

Thank again^^;

Comment

if you haven't used a clay bar, it may be time to do so.... http://www.meguiars.com/estore/produ...ystem&sku=G-11
            Last edited by imacarnut; Jul 9, 2005, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Well, most cars come with some stuff on the finish, though mine turned out pretty good. Needed clayed, but not many swirls really.

Claying works well on all surfaces, paint, windows, wheels, trim, etc.. so you should start with that. Any new car really should be clayed right away, no matter how clean they look. There is always stuff on the surface.

After that, if you are sure it is metal trim, then Nxt Polysh can work. If it is painted trim, then you can use the regular paint cleaners to remove any below surface defects.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');