• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural shine greasy and plastic looking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural shine greasy and plastic looking?

I was led to believe by the meguiars website and the bottle that the Natural Shine wouldn't leave the surfaces feeling greasy or slippery, and fake plastic looking. That is exactly what natural shine did to my car, it's greasy and slippery... the only difference I've found between this product and armor all is the smell is a little bit more tolerable with natural shine. Could someone recommend a product that actually won't leave things greasy and slippery?

Oh, and is there any way to clean this **** (Edited -Mike), off my dash? Or do I have to wait for the sun to burn it off?
    Last edited by brandon1983; Jul 15, 2005, 03:47 PM.

Hi Brandon,

Natural Shine is supposed to leave your finish looking like it did when it was new. I seldom see a complaint about it, especially like yours. When I do, often times it's related to over use of product.

First thing to do would be to call our Customer Care Hotline at 1-800-347-5700 when they open tomorrow, (7:00am PST), and reference this thread and they'll take care of you.

As far as a protectant that won't leave a greasy look or feel, despite the fact that Natural Shine doesn't normally do this, you could try our NXT Tech Protect, I show this just about every weekend at our Detailing clinics and I've never seen it do the things you listed.

I also apply all my interior dressings with a foam applicators and then go back over the surface after the product has had a chance to penetrate and wipe the surface down with a clean microfiber to insure I don't' have too much product on, and that the surface has a nice matte look to it.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just as a point of reference, the vehicle *is* brand new, as of about 2 days ago, and the interior is at it's brand new look. When I wiped on the natural shine, it took it quite a ways from the new look, to a plastic greasy deal. Just so there's no confusion there.

Comment

Originally posted by brandon1983
        Just as a point of reference, the vehicle *is* brand new, as of about 2 days ago, and the interior is at it's brand new look. When I wiped on the natural shine, it took it quite a ways from the new look, to a plastic greasy deal. Just so there's no confusion there.
        Thanks for clarifying.

I'm sure everything is as you say, thus the reason I've asked you to call Customer Care first thing. I will also send Tom McDonald a link to this thread as well as your e-mail and have him contact you. While this particular Meguiar's product didn't work for you, I think you'll find our Customer Care response to be 5 Star.

As for Natural Shine, I'm not sure how long this product has been on the market, but I'll guess since the 1980's, easily, I can try to find out.

Point being, products like this don't exist for this kind of time-frame unless they perform as advertised and meet our customers expectations. So while this product isn't working for you for your particular application, this is an exception, not the normal experience. Chances are real good Tom McDonald will investigate this thoroughly. The most important thing is Meguiar's will take care of you.

Customer Care is open 7:00am to 3:pm on Saturdays, and Tom McDonald will be back in the office on Monday.

I know the gravity of this situation as the owner of a new car also and the kind of investment a person makes when purchasing a new car. I guarantee you, we will take care of you.

Thank you for your business and your patience in this matter.

Sincerely,

Mike Phillips
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what kind of car are we talking about. I have used natural shine for several years and have never experienced what you are explaining. I know this sounds silly, but did you shake it well? I have had issues with similar products in the past simply because I didn't shake them and they had most likely been sitting on the shelves for a while.
          No worries, you are talking to the best customer care team. Everything will come out perfect in the end.

Comment

Hi Brandon,

To remove the Natural Shine from your dash use a warm moist towel, followed by a dry towel. It may take a couple applications, you can also use a mild vinyl cleaner on the moist towel to help. This product does leave the surface with some gloss. Each surface will be slightly different as far as how glossy it will appear. Meguiars does offer a product called Vinyl/ Rubber Cleaner Conditioner (M4016). This is our lowest gloss prodcut. If you desire no gloss we have our Quik Interior Detailer that would be a good choice. Send me a PM with your shipping information and I will swap out either one of these products in place of the Natural Shine.

Regards,

Tom

Comment

When applying a product like Natural Shine, I always spray it onto a microfiber cloth, rather than directly to the surface. This helps limit over-use as well as overspray.

Comment

Re: Natural shine greasy and plastic looking?

Well, I've used Meguiar's products for years (wax/wheel/tire cleaner/detailer).... I tried the "New" Natural Shine Protectant on out Mazda Tribute and it turned out to be a disaster. The grey trim was completely dry and free of any grease/grim. I applied it with a new micro fiber cloth as well. It looked great yesterday afternoon. I drive it to church and was almost embarressed to leave it parked outside. It had spotted all over! There were places that looked like it had runs. I'm more than a little dissapointed. The remainder (3/4 of a bottle or better) is in our trash can. A "warm moist towel" won't begin to bring it off. It did almost the exact same thing using Armour All brand protectant. It will take 3-4 hours of hot water and plastic type scouring pad. Been there, done that. My local auto store was out of Back to Black by Mother's..... Which I had used before with great results. Guess I know where the rest of my day will be spent. I'll be looking for a new wax too. Sorry guys.... This left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

Well, of course everyone has a different opinion of different products. I think you either got a bad bottle or you somehow used the product wrong. No offense. I have only recently started using Natural Shine (since I joined MOL) along with Supreme Shine and Quik Interior Detailer, and I could not be more pleased with the results. Easy to use, looks great, and leaves no greasy finish or artificial shine (at least not in my personal experience). To apply, I usually apply a few sprays to a microfiber applicator, wipe down the surface, then go back and wipe off any remaining product with a microfiber dedicated for interiors. Few questions for you that may or may not be related to your problem.

1. How did you apply the product? Did you spray on an applicator or microfiber, wipe the surface down, then go back and wipe off the excess with a clean microfiber? Or did you just spray it directly on the dash and wipe it off?
                  2. Were your microfibers and/or applicators free from other products, such as wax or polish? I assume so, but that will make a difference.
                  3. Did you apply it in a shaded and cool area, or did you apply it in the sun? Sometimes applying in the sun will cause the product to have a greasy and smeared appearance.
                  4. Did you clean the glass afterward and get any glass cleaner on the dash? I have found that certain glass cleaners, if they get on the dressed dash, will cause the dash to spot. If that happens, a quick reapplication of the protectant being used on the plastic will remedy the problem.
                  5. Was the dash 100% free from any other products being applied? Meaning was anything perhaps applied by the dealership where you bought it from?
                  6. What color is the dash? Some products will look different on different dashes.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure all the bases are covered. In short, I switched to these products after using Armor All for a few years, and now there is no going back. If you didn't like Natural Shine, you might consider switching to Supreme Shine. It has a very nice low tone shine on light colored dashes. Here's a few pics:

Supreme Shine on 1996 Ford Explorer dash

Supreme Shine on 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL dash

Supreme Shine on 1990 Honda Accord dash

Natural Shine on 2000 Honda Odyssey dash
                  Shane
                  1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky View Post
                    Well, I've used Meguiar's products for years (wax/wheel/tire cleaner/detailer).... I tried the "New" Natural Shine Protectant on out Mazda Tribute and it turned out to be a disaster. The grey trim was completely dry and free of any grease/grim. I applied it with a new micro fiber cloth as well. It looked great yesterday afternoon. I drive it to church and was almost embarressed to leave it parked outside. It had spotted all over! There were places that looked like it had runs. I'm more than a little dissapointed. The remainder (3/4 of a bottle or better) is in our trash can. A "warm moist towel" won't begin to bring it off. It did almost the exact same thing using Armour All brand protectant. It will take 3-4 hours of hot water and plastic type scouring pad. Been there, done that. My local auto store was out of Back to Black by Mother's..... Which I had used before with great results. Guess I know where the rest of my day will be spent. I'll be looking for a new wax too. Sorry guys.... This left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
                    I have used Natural Shine on hundreds of cars , all sorts of different makes and models, interior and exterior, especially with the cars I have been detailing lately, Natural Shine has proven to be the best all around dressing IMO. When used properly it has a non greasy look and feel. It also has light cleaners in it to aid in conditioning the surface and create a "like new" appearance.

It also will not take 3-4 to remove it either. A simple two minute scrubbing with a little APC and a soft cotton or microfiber towel will work fine. Even if APC would not work M39 would.

When I use Natural Shine I preclean the surface with APC or QID and then make sure the surface is clean and ready to accept the dressing. I then get a clean microfiber applicator and then put a very small amount of dressing on the pad. I then work the product into the surface in circular motion and then eventually cover the whole area. Sometime I wipe with a microfiber afterwards, and sometimes I do not.

My truck's interior is wearing Natural Shine as we speak. Every three weeks during the summer I remove the product with APC 4:1 and a microfiber and it comes out fine, its gone. takes 5 minutes to remove it from the dash, doorpanels, and my vinyl center console. And then I simply put a new coat of Natural Shine on.

Are you sure you are using the product correctly?

Instead of bringing back a four year old thread, perhaps start a new one so that way your problem can be addressed.
                    Nick
                    Tucker's Detailing Services
                    815-954-0773
                    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Here is what Natural Shine should look like when properly used. The right side has a nice new black look.

The left side is just after cleaning off an older coat of NS with APC.

heres a couple more:

works great on the hundreds of surfaces of have used it on.
                      Nick
                      815-954-0773

Comment

Sneaky, could you clarify for us your complaint please. Precisely what parts of the car did you apply it to? Do I infer correctly you are referring to the exterior plastic trim?

Having just purchased a new car myself, I certainly understand your anger at this point. I have never used Natural Shine, so cannot comment on the product itself; but I have to wonder if some other factor might have caused the spotting. Is it possible that your car was hit by a water sprinkler, for example, on your way to church?

And don't forget that Meguiar's has a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. If you are convinced that the product is to blame, return your bottle to the store and get your money back.

FWIW, I have been using Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer on the plastic exterior trim of my S2000 and Ford Taurus and have been very impressed with it. I have experienced no problems whatsoever. On our new CR-V, though, I have decided to use Ultima Paint Guard Plus: I want a sealant I can use on both paint and trim, and UPGP fits the bill. Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax can also be used on both paint and trim.

Cheers,
                        Al
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

I've been using Natural Shine too.No problems encountered whatsoever.

I think some pics here could have helped to see what was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky View Post
                            It will take 3-4 hours of hot water and plastic type scouring pad. Been there, done that. My local auto store was out of Back to Black by Mother's..... Which I had used before with great results. Guess I know where the rest of my day will be spent. I'll be looking for a new wax too. Sorry guys.... This left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

I think that he is exaggerating when saying it takes three hours of a hot water wipedown with a scouring pad.

I have detailed the inside of a Mazda Tribute before and it was not too difficult to clean.

best thing to do is clean off the dash with APC or M39 and use Quik Interior Detailer from now on.
                            Nick
                            815-954-0773

Comment

Well, It took 2 hrs... and I will have to go back and hit a couple spots twice. Like I said... I did the grey "trim" (A tribute is about 1/2 vinyl trim body molding) I applied it to a completely dry, clean surface with a brand new applicator. I do go back over it with a different dry "golf" towel." No biggy.... 2 hours was less time than than it took to get the Armour All brand off. Live and learn. Maybe I did get too much on the molding? It looked fine when I went to bed... and not so good when I got up this morning.

Odd... I see a red bottle in one of the pix... Mine's black, but says exactly the same thing... Actually it has the same label?

I'm not mad.... Just a little dissapointed... I'd just say case closed. No biggy... As I said... Live and learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');