• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question with Step 2 of the Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question with Step 2 of the Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

I've been researching Meguiar's Forum on each step of the "Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle." I understand the purpose of each step. Yet, I have one question concerning step 2. New cars today have a clear coat, which is supposed to protect the car paint for a certain amount of time. But if I was to use products like scratchX, claybars, and paint cleaners, I have to remove a certain amount of paint to remove the scratches, etc.
    I am confused about this. Does this mean, I will be removing the protective clearcoat during this step? I'm just worry that I would remove that factory clearcoat on my new car and causing exposure to the paint.

Lets say, that I used scratchX to remove a light scratch. The area which I apply this product has remove the clearcoat. So, I must used wax on this area to protect it?

Sorry, I don't clearly understand step 2. I'm just paranoid that if I use these products in step 2, I would remove all of the clearcoating on my car.

Thank you all^^;
    Last edited by g35; Jul 16, 2005, 03:52 PM.

You won't be removing much of the clear. Some scratches are too deep and cut right through the clear cpat and these can't be removed. These products are safe for regular use.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

Re: Question with Step 2 of the Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Originally posted by g35
      Lets say, that I used scratchX to remove a light scratch. The area which I apply this product has remove the clearcoat. So, I must used wax on this area to protect it?
      It's more than having to protect any area you use a paint cleaner on, you need to wax all the paint even if you don't use a paint cleaner to add a level of protection to the entire finish.

You also have to re-apply wax after claying your car's paint.

The alternative to not using a paint cleaner like ScratchX is to live with the swirls and scratches as there is only one way to remove them and that is to remove a little paint surround them.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike, when you talk about removing paint to remove the scratches and swirls confuses me. I understand that you have to reach the point of the scratch or swirl to remove it. I guess my question is, will it be noticeable to the naked eye. Like if I used scratchX or a paint cleaner, will I be able to look at that spot and see no clearcoat on it and only the paint itself. Removing paint and clearcoating is at a microscopic level?

Sorry, I'm just paranoid, since this is my first time taking care of a car serously.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');