• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which tape to use on trims before waxing and polishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which tape to use on trims before waxing and polishing?

Everyone talks about using "3M's blue painters tape" used on trims before waxing etc.

Is it the 3M - 2090 or 2080 blue painter tape? The 3M 2080 is for delicate surfaces I think. Also, if wax was to get on plastic headlights or metal window trimming. Is it easy to remove and is the tape safe on the car paint?

You know, I've never paid that much attention to specific part numbers. The idea is to get a tape made for paint that is less sticky than normal masking tape for use on automotive paint. Since I purchase most/all of the tape I use at a PBE store, it's kind of easy to assume that the PBE Store is inventorying only tape that can be used by body shops on paint.

Remember, the idea of taping off a car is to tape it off, and then do the work, and then remove the tape. Tape shouldn't be left on cars overnight as the there is no good reason to increase the potential for problems.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Sorry for being a newbie =(. What does PBE stand for? Is there a trusted online store which everyone purchases their tapes from?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by g35
        Sorry for being a newbie =(. What does PBE stand for? Is there a trusted online store which everyone purchases their tapes from?

Thanks.
        PBE stands for Paint & Bodyshop Equipment store.

I usually purchase my tape from Wal-Mart or wherever I can get a good price on it..........But I always like to stay with the 3M brand.

They also have a tan painters tape that works well for me, and it is a little cheaper than the blue tape.
        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Mike,

I noticed in this picture that you tend to let the tape overlap onto the paint.........Is there a reason for this? I mean, it looks like you're going to have to remove it, and touch up those areas by hand.......Or is that the way you planned it?

I take a lot of pains to make sure that the tape does not cover any of the paint.

Maybe that's why I dislike applying it so much.

Sorry if I got off topic just a little.
          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
            Mike,

I noticed in this picture that you tend to let the tape overlap onto the paint.........Is there a reason for this? I mean, it looks like you're going to have to remove it, and touch up those areas by hand.......Or is that the way you planned it?

I take a lot of pains to make sure that the tape does not cover any of the paint.

Maybe that's why I dislike applying it so much.

Sorry if I got off topic just a little.
            *Bump*
            r. b.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');