• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car paint problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car paint problems

I bought a black Mustang GT in March. I had stripes put on and noticed the guy that did the job had cut the stripes on my car using a razor knife. I noticed he also used a buffer on my car and left a lot of deep swirls in the paint. The car has been repainted repairing the razor cuts and I used a product called Finesse-it II on the hood to remove the deep swirl marks with great results. What is the best product to use on my car from here on out when I wax. I still have some swirl marks around in different spots so I'd like to hide as many of them as possible as I continue to care for my car. I live in an area with really-really hard water so I use the Mr. Clean car washing system to wash my car and it really does work...no spotting at all.

Need some good advise on wax for a black car.

Well I heard NXT Tech Wax would definitely bring out the deep color of your paint and will hide all the swirls that your car uncovers. I myself am going to buy this wax so give it a try.

Comment

I like to use Meg's #80 and #81 followed by NXT Tech Wax (x2).

The #80 will remove swirls and fine scratches and the #81 will fill and hide most any that are remaining. NXT seals in the good look.

The vehicles in my gallery have all been done with this combo.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Well, you didnt mention if you were working by hand, of G-100, but I'll guess by hand at first.

For removing swirls, you will really need a few good applications of ScratchX on those spots, or the whole car. Doing the whole car *****, but it is worth it if you can only work by hand, and cant get a G-100. And carefull around the stripes of course. After that, a milder cleaner like DC#1 can be used.

After that, you have a few more options, though the DC#2 polish is excellent by hand, and either Gold Class wax, Nxt Wax, #26, etc can all be used to seal it all in.

If/when you are working by G-100, then the #80 cleaner can be used, or #83 for tougher swirls, and then either those waxes by hand, or #20, or #21 applied by machine.

If you havent clayed at all, then giving a good wash, then claying the car will be a good start. Then go on with the cleaning, polishing, etc.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: New car paint problems

Originally posted by Blk GT
          I used a product called Finesse-it II on the hood to remove the deep swirl marks with great results.
          Hi Blk GT,

Welcome to Meguair's Online!

How did you apply this product?

If you used a machine, what kind of buffing pad did you use?

There's a difference in the depth of swirls when a product is applied using different materials for example foam pads versus wool buffing pads.

What tools do you have available to you to polish the paint?
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: New car paint problems

Need some good advise on wax for a black car.
            Welcome to the forum Blk GT!

Any of Meguiar's sealers & waxes will look great on black.

NXT, #21, #26 seem to be the favorites on the forum here though.
            r. b.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. The stripes are gone...worst mistake I ever made and dang sure won't ever do it again.

I do have a dual action polisher that I used applying the Finesse-it II. That stuff is so sweet! Scratch X left even more really fine scratches so that is off the list.

All these products with all the numbers is so weird when it comes to wax. Sheeeeeeesh. No disrespect but I don't have the time to be a wax expert and if you need to be... how crazy are things getting? I went to wal-mart and got some Gold Class and Black Magic detail spray. The wax went on easy and came off easy. The detail spray compares to the Wizards I've been using at less than half the price. So the Wizards is gone! The Gold Class was so hard to get off my hands and applicator when I finished. That stuff must really lay down a nice coating of something ...LOL. Oh well the results were really good. I can still see swirls in the right light and at the right angles but the car has a deep luster and as long as I keep moving at mach 3 no one will ever see them.

Guess I'm going to have to take some wax study courses and find out if anything really works on scratches...other than the Finesses-it II.

Thanks again

BlkGT

Comment

I do have a dual action polisher that I used applying the Finesse-it II. That stuff is so sweet! Scratch X left even more really fine scratches so that is off the list.
                Did you apply the ScratchX by hand or machine? Either way, what kind of applicator did you apply it with? I applied ScratchX 3 times, using a lot of pressure while around 30 people watched as this last weekend and all it did was remove scratches...

All these products with all the numbers is so weird when it comes to wax. Sheeeeeeesh. No disrespect but I don't have the time to be a wax expert and if you need to be... how crazy are things getting?
                The numbers are just quick reference numbers for Professionals in the Professional Refinishing Industry, these product you are referring to were never intended to be used by enthusiasts, that's what our Consumer Line is for. If you'll note the 3M product you referred to also has a number and their line has a numbering system. You've just stepped into a different world that's all.

Guess I'm going to have to take some wax study courses and find out if anything really works on scratches...other than the Finesses-it II.
                If you look, and you don't even have to look hard, (or even stray far from this forum), you'll soon discover some products that remove swirls that many people including myself know work better.

Thanks again

BlkGT
                We're all glad to help you out
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Guess I'm going to have to take some wax study courses and find out if anything really works on scratches...other than the Finesse-it II.

BlkGT
                  I'm not up to speed on 3M products, but Meguiars makes a nice product that works well with a DA polisher, and it is called #80 Speed Glaze....

Speed Glaze provides paint shop safe protection. Removes light to moderate swirls, oxidation and paint defects. Restores a glistening “new paint” shine. Versatile – can be used with a rotary buffer (wool or foam pad), D/A polisher, orbital or by hand. Easy, low dusting wipe-off.

This has become my "go to product" for much of my detailing needs.
                  r. b.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. Where can I get the #80 glaze? I live in North Cincinnati and I don't like ordering online. Any ideas?

Thanks BlkGt

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. Where can I get the #80 glaze? I live in North Cincinnati and I don't like ordering online. Any ideas?

Thanks BlkGt
                      You can try the dealer locator link....

Or, you can call 1-800-347-5700 and order over the phone.

I always buy in person, or over the phone myself........Never used online ordering yet.
                      r. b.

Comment

Check out the third solution listed in the below article...

How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown

How to locate Meguiar's Professional and Detailer products in your hometown.

At every Detailing clinic held on Saturday's here at Meguiar's in Irvine, California, around the rest the of the United States by our Professional staff, and constantly on discussion forums all over the web, the question comes up,

"Where can I find the Professional Line of products and the Detailer Line of products?"

Meguiar's Professional Line
                        For those that may not know, Meguiar's Professional Line of products, are the products that come in the Tan Bottles with the Numbers on them. Like this one,

Or sometimes they're not in a tan bottle, but another container, but they have the distinctive and often talked about or posted part number, like this one,

This is what is known as Meguiar's Professional Line. These are products primarily formulated and sold into the professional side of the auto appearance industry. This includes products for use on the assembly line at car manufacturing plants, and also products for use in the Refinishing Industry, for example your local body shops and dealerships that offer collision repair.

Meguiar's Detailer Line
                        Meguiar's manufactures the highest quality products for the professional detailing industry. This includes,

Degreasers and Multi-Purpose Cleaners
                        Car Washes
                        Glass Cleaner
                        Wheel Cleaner
                        X-Press Liquid Wax
                        Last Touch High Gloss Quick Detailer
                        Body Solvent
                        Tire Dressings
                        Solvent Dressings
                        Water-based Dressing
                        Aerosol Spray Dressing
                        Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
                        Plus other miscellaneous tools and supplies

In order to purchase these products locally, you need to find what is called a PBE Store. Let me explain what a PBE Store is.

In the Automotive world, there are two types of auto parts stores,

* Hard Parts Stores
                        * PBE Stores

A Hard Parts store is a store like Pep Boys, Kragen, AutoZone, etc. These types of auto parts stores sell a large variety of auto parts including Meguiar's highly popular Consumer Line which includes, Meguiar's Deep Crystal, Meguiar's Gold Class, and Meguiar's NXT Generation.

Some Hard Parts stores sell a few products from the Professional Line, such as M-02 Fine Cut Cleaner, M-07 Show Car Glaze, M-2616 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, M-3416 Final Inspection, and M-4016 Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner & Conditioner to name a few.

PBE store is an auto parts store that like a Hard Parts store sells traditional auto parts like spark plugs, starter motors, oil etc. but they also stock and sell Automotive Paint, and Body Shop Supplies and Equipment.

PBE stores don't tend to have large neon signs on the outside of their building because they often lean more to the Mom & Pop type of business than belong to large, nationwide chain stores.

For this reason, these stores a little harder to find. But note this, if your town or city is large enough to have a body shop or two, and also a new car dealership or two, (which probably includes a majority of towns and cities in America), then chances are very good there is at least one PBE store within an acceptable driving area from where you live and work.

Here are three ways to find a PBE store in your area,

1) Meguiar's Online Dealer Locater
                        Simple click on the link above, type in your Zip-Code and then select the Meguiar's Professional Products option. Hopefully this will give you some accurate leads.

2) Look in the Yellow Pages of your local phone book. Look under the Automotive section under Paint Supplies, (or something similar). Often, if there is a PBE store in your area they will place an add in the local yellow pages. A quick phone call will tell you if they do indeed sell body shop supplies and carry Meguiar's Professional Line.

3) This is probably the easiest and simplest, but not always the fastest way to find a PBE store. The next time you're out driving around and you see a Body Shop that is open. Pull over, and locate someone who is wearing jeans and looks like they work in the shop. Often times their clothes will be dirty because the refinishing business is a dirty business. Ask this person,

"Where does your shop purchase their paint, compounds and polishes at?"

Chances are very good he is going to tell you about a local PBE store, also called a Paint Store, (but not house paint), and point you in the right direction.

Those are three ways to locate a PBE Store in your hometown.

Important Note: After you locate a PBE Store in your hometown, upon exploring the store, if you do not find the Meguiar's product you are looking for, whether it be a Professional Line product or a Detailer Line product, but you do see other Meguiar's products in tan bottles with numbers, rest assure they can order the specific product you're looking for, simply ask one of the counter people if they can help you out. Sometimes it will help if you have either a Meguiar's Professional Catalog with your are the part number for the product you are looking for. For example, if you're dying to try out Meguiar's very popular quick detailer in the *New* Detailer Line, the part number is D15501 and the name is Last Touch Spray Detailer

I hope this helps...
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                          PBE store is an auto parts store that like a Hard Parts store sells traditional auto parts like spark plugs, starter motors, oil etc. but they also stock and sell Automotive Paint, and Body Shop Supplies and Equipment.
                          It's strange how stores differ in different parts of the country.

Here in my area, the PBE stores only carry things that are related to the detailing or body shop trade.......I've never seen them carry anything related to the machanical aspects of auto repair, such as oil, plugs, parts, etc.
                          Last edited by rusty bumper; Jul 25, 2005, 08:23 AM.
                          r. b.

Comment

That is strange.

In my home town in Oregon, we had two PBE stores and you could get anything you needed from them, I even ordered an engine through one of them when I was 17 years old and I didn't even know what a PBE store was.
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');