• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet sanding with a DA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanding with a DA?

I do work for a car stealership that just hired an in house painter. On all the panels he paints I notice a ton of small U shaped scratches. I've been trying to figure out how they got in there like that because they're too small to be swirl marks, which he also leaves. It seems like he uses a DA and a harsh grit sand paper to remove orange peel. The scratches are just too deep to be caused by anything else. Am I right?

This seems like a good way of reducing OP if used properly. Is this what the Mirka system is? I've read about it but haven't seen any pictures.

Sounds like he doesn't' have a system dialed in for turning out quality work? D.A. Sanding is a great way to remove orange peel but it's important to use the right papers and then use a system of pads, compounds and polishes to remove the sanding marks while leaving a swirl free finish.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The Mirka system uses a pneumatic DA sander and a very specially designed system of abrasives and backing pads. It works great.

In theory I guess you could use a PC but it would scare the heck out of me. The Mirka Bulldog sander:

is very small and light and very easy to keep flat on the surface. A PC is rather unwieldy in comparison. That’s not a problem with foam buffing pads but with sanding sheets it would take considerable skill to avoid damaging the finish.

From the description it sounds like he’s using plain old ordinary sanding sheets of a completely wrong grit.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
        A PC is rather unwieldy in comparison. That’s not a problem with foam buffing pads but with sanding sheets it would take considerable skill to avoid damaging the finish.

Thanks for bringing that up PC.

I was wondering why the PC- DA polisher wasn't mentioned for that purpose.

Looks like a person would need a real flexible air hose for this type of machine though........I mean, a heavy air hose might cause control problems.
        Last edited by rusty bumper; Jul 29, 2005, 08:45 PM.
        r. b.

Comment

The mirka is a finish sander. It has a tighter dual action motion than the porter cable.
          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Sort of like an electric B&D palm sander I suppose.
            r. b.

Comment

A flexible hose helps a lot but it’s not as bad as it might look. Since it’s a one handed operation I find it pretty natural to hold the hose with the other hand. It’s sort of automatic for me to keep it from dragging on the paint but it also helps keep the sander balanced. From using corded electric buffers you get a natural tendency to loop the hose over your shoulder too.

PC.

Comment

I used to operate a 7 1/2" grinder on my previous job for a number of years. The nature of my work caused me to have to use it one handed a lot of times, and a heavy air hose was just the thing to help stabilize the grinder.

But the big hose did get to be a problem with smaller attachments however.

Just thinking out loud.
                r. b.

Comment

I might look into buying one of those Mirka systems now. I'm getting hooked up with a painter who hates wetsanding/buffing. I high balled him on the price because I'm busy with Xpel. He took it. So it looks like I've got a lot of wetsanding in my future.

Comment

The Mirka Bulldog doesn't even begin to reach the orbital speed of a standard square style DA sander. Those things are wayyyy too fast!

Comparing the G100 to the Bulldog... As Joe said, it does have a much tighter movement than a G100. The BIGGEST advantage to the Bulldog is that the speed is variable all the way down to ZERO O.P.M. (oscillations per minute). The hose is not a problem... If it seems awkward, simply add a small hose swivel attachment.

In my opinion, this system is easier and safer (and quicker) to use versus hand sanding. We use them at the NXT Tech Institute... In fact, Joe and Paul are NXTti grads!

read about it here:
                    Inaugural NXT Tech Institute

NXT Tech Institute write-up!

NXTti- The Nethercutt Collection
                    Last edited by Kevin Brown; Jul 30, 2005, 03:27 PM.
                    Kevin Brown
                    NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

The Bulldog is the best one for sanding, whether removing orange peel from clear or removing bird stains and scratches. They also do various sizes, I think there is 3,5,6 inch versions.

As for the Mirka sanding pads, 2000 and 4000 grit sanding pads are the nuts!!! Smooths out paint like never before... and the new ceramic clear coat compounds take out the 4000 like a dream come true...

Comment

Here's another for the Mirka Bulldog.

In addition to the other comments, I'm not sure that the mix of WETsanding and the electricity of the Porter Cable is a good thing...

Jim
                        If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

In addition to the other comments, I'm not sure that the mix of WETsanding and the electricity of the Porter Cable is a good thing...
                          Don't be a wuss Jim!! Where is your sence of adventure?
                          Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit
                            Here's another for the Mirka Bulldog.

Jim
                            Mighty good point!

Never thought about it at first.

No wonder they're pneumatic.

Edit: I guess we all need to see if we have our DA polishers plugged into a GFCI receptacle, since they are mainly used outdoors.
                            Last edited by rusty bumper; Jul 31, 2005, 09:55 AM.
                            r. b.

Comment

No wet sanding and electric is not a good idea..

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');