• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Teach me the ways....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach me the ways....

I always used to consider myself somewhat of a detailing fanatic, until I came here and saw what everyone else does. There are some truly great detailers here and I would love to get some advice.

I just recently purchased a black 2001 C5. While the car in general is in good condition it was not "babied" like a black car should be. I have always been an avid Meguiars fan, but in reading posts there is much that I need to learn to get the amazing results that others have achieved.

I am one who loves to try the various waxes/polishes that come out each year until the NXT line came out. Since then I have not touched another wax. After purchasing the C5, I immediately took it home and washed it with the Deep Crystal Car Wash" and proceeded to wax it with an orbital buffer using NXT Tech Wax. For the most part the car looked great, but being black there were still some noticable swirls and bumps (oxidation?) in the paint. I went out and bought ScratchX to hopefully remove the swirls and build up but still have had zero luck in getting that "smooth as glass" look and feel.

In reading, it seems that to get the most brilliant finish one has to be skilled in the rotary buffer trade, but I have heard horror stories of people putting more swirls, holograms, etc. in the paint than they were trying to remove. I am not ready to jump up into the rotorary scene yet, but still need/want that deep and glossy shine. Can anyone out there set me up with a good line up to start with?

I've heard numerous raves about the clay bar system and #26 polish, but eveyone here seems to know what they are talking about and would love to get some advise from someone who has been there.

I appreciate any help and apologize if this is the wrong section of the forum to place this topic.

Thanks.

Scott
    Boise, ID

Hi Scott, to MOL!

And congrats on the “new” ride.

The need for a rotary comes up when the finish defects are quite severe and/or the paint is rock hard. If your new baby’s swirls are light to moderate and the paint isn’t too hard you’ll be able to get a dazzling gloss by hand with the ScratchX or with a (very safe) DA polisher like the G-100.

Oxidation usually has a rough or “chalky” feel and a faded or cloudy look. “Bumps” are usually bonded contaminants. That’s exactly where clay comes in. You will love clay. I guarantee it.

#26 is a great wax but since you’re already using NXT I’d put trying other waxes on the back burner for later (fun experiments). NXT rocks.

The best way to get started is to read up on Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle.

Enjoy.

PC.

(Oh, you’re right, a different forum, like Detailing 101 would probably have been a better choice. But I won’t tell if you don’t. )

Comment

Hey SkeeterJD

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

There is a wealth of information available on MOL to assist you in bringing your paint to its maximum potential!!

Generally, it is best to start off using a Dual Action polisher like Meguiar's G100. It is very safe to use and will really help in giving you a beautiful paint finish. Later, after you have some experience, then you can move to the rotary buffer if you so desire.

The rotary is not just for paint correction. The rotary can provide a liquid look to the paint that only a rotary can provide. I have been using the rotary for over 16 years and love using it. It does have a learning curve and it is not safe like the G100. But it does provide that tiny bit more than a G100 can provide. However, is that very slight improvement over the G100 worth the risk of using a rotary; only you can decide that.

Again, for the vast majority of people, the G100 can do amazing things for a paint finish! With the correct pads, and products, your paint will look awesome!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I appreciate the response(s). I think the clay is the best start for me now, however, I went absolutely everywhere in Boise and could not find the detailing clay. I found the Mothers Clay, but like I said, I'm pretty much a Meguiars guy, and as stupid as it may sound, I just dont trust it. I may have to order it online.

I went to a auto paint store and the guy behind the counter directed me to the #7 Show Glaze Polish. He said that from the look of my paint, it wasn't too bad and that the #7 should give me some good results. Any thoughts? Though new to the forum, I have not heard very many people talk about the #7. He also said that being a polish, I do not need to polish the surface and then wipe it down afterwards. The polish should absorb entirely into the paint. Does this sound right? Should I apply the NXT Tech Wax after I polish it?

Thanks again for any help/advise.

Scott
        Last edited by SkeeterJD; Jul 30, 2005, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Meguiar’s Dealer locator might help you find the Meg’s stuff you want. Pro product dealers should also be able to order anything from the pro and detailer lines that they don't have in stock.

#7 is a “pure polish” or “glaze” that will bring out the beauty in a finish but won’t remove any defects like swirls or oxidation. If your finish isn’t pristine it should benefit from a cleaner like ScratchX before #7. You can also use combination products like #80 that is both a cleaner and a glaze in one.

If you were to use the #7 without removing swirls, etching or oxidation those defects might be less noticeable but they’ll still be there and the finish won’t look it’s best. That’s why cleaning is step 2 and polishing is step 3 in Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle.

You would apply NXT wax last to protect the finish you’ve restored with washing, claying, cleaning and polishing.

PC.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks to all the help and advise I got. My car looks and feels great. I have never used a clay bar before, but seeing (and feeling) what it can do is just down right AWESOME!

Thanks

Deep Crystal Wash
            Quik Clay Detailing System
            #7 Show Car Glaze Polish (ScratchX where needed)
            NXT Tech Wax

Comment

Originally posted by SkeeterJD

Just wanted to say thanks to all the help and advise I got. My car looks and feels great. I have never used a clay bar before, but seeing (and feeling) what it can do is just down right AWESOME!

Thanks

Deep Crystal Wash
              Quik Clay Detailing System
              #7 Show Car Glaze Polish (ScratchX where needed)
              NXT Tech Wax
              Cool! Glad it all work out for you!! Do you have any larger pics of your car?

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Welcome to MOL SkeeterJD. Nice looking ride. I'd love to see some bigger pictures so we can all enjoy the 'finished product'.

I too am a new user of #7. I had a hard time wiping it off the first time i used it. The second time, the results were amazing!

1. DC Gel Wash
                2. #7 Show Car Glaze
                3. NXT Speed Detailer
                4. GC liquid wax (1 thin coat)

My girlfriend noticed some water spots and swirls on her black G35. The following procedure worked wonders. She now absolutely swears by Scratch X!!

1. DC Gel Wash
                2. DC Step 1 (cleaner)
                3. Scratch X (3 times)
                4. GC wax (paste)

As you know, you'll be more than happy with Meguiar's products. The support an enthusiast can get from the MOL forums will make the experience even more fulfilling.
                Alex
                '01 Blk Max. SE
                '03 Blk G35 Sedan (GF's car)

"Hooked on Clay"

Comment

Good job SkeeterJD!

PC.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');