• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bigger is better, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger is better, right?

I was just talking about clay in another tread and I had a great idea. I currently use Clay Magic, but in K-mart today I decided to look at the Meguiar's quick clay for when I need a replacement. So I opened the box to see what the clay looked like and this tiny little bar fell out. I don't mean to criticize, but if it were a candy bar I would need to buy two or three.

My suggestion is to make the quick clay bar a little bigger. Even if the QD bottle had to be smaller for the price to remain the same it would be worth it to have more clay. A bigger bar would be easier to hold and work with and it would probably last longer. What do you all think?

Slats

BTW, I like that the clay is white b/c it shows what your getting off the finish! I love clay......
    -------------
    John 17:3
    -------------

I know, they're hard to find individually, but the detailer bars are big, probably twice as big if not more than the quick clay bar.
    Later,
    Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
    Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Re: Bigger is better, right?

Originally posted by Slats
      I don't mean to criticize, but if it were a candy bar I would need to buy two or three.
      Hehehe

I got a good laugh out of that one.

I'll have to check out the size of Meg's other bars.
      r. b.

Comment

I just recently bought Meguiar's Pro Shop Overspray Clay that came with two big chunks.

I cut them into 4 thinner peices and figured this will be enough to devote one for the wheels, one for lower pannels, and the rest (6) for my Jeep or my girlfriends Focus.

I don't even toss them until they get that dark brown look to them and even then I usually just fold it over itself or use a razor blade to cut off an even thinner peice. What a great deal!
        '87 Dante's Peak Off-Road GMC Suburban
        '01 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

I only found the Megs clay kit once, and I can't remember if it was at Autozone or Advance but neither of them carry it anymore. I bought the Overspray clay in the little "jar" instead, since I had better luck with the megs clay than the mothers (got off 2-3 year old paint overspray on my ranger-the mothers didnt touch it for some reason)....

Comment

Tell me about the bigger clay in the detailer line. Which is better mild or aggresive? Can aggresive be used just as often or would mild be a better all-around clay. And there are two bars in each jar, right? Also, will quick detailer still work or is it better to use final inspection? Thanks for the info.

I still think that the consumer bar needs to be bigger. Does anyone know how many grams it is?

Slats
            -------------
            John 17:3
            -------------

Comment

Originally posted by electricgreen
              I only found the Megs clay kit once, and I can't remember if it was at Autozone or Advance but neither of them carry it anymore. I bought the Overspray clay in the little "jar" instead, since I had better luck with the megs clay than the mothers (got off 2-3 year old paint overspray on my ranger-the mothers didnt touch it for some reason)....
              What did you use for a lube?
              r. b.

Comment

Final Inspection, but I only chose it over QD because I was doing the claying in the garage, next to the Mach which is still in primer. Don't want any silicone floating around and causing "fish eyes" when we finally finish the body work and paint it!! It did seem a bit more "sticky" than the consumer bar I had, don't know if that was because of the final inspection, or a difference in the clay itself...

Comment

What is your lube of choice?

(That would make for a good polling question)
                  r. b.

Comment

I don't have the Quik Clay so I can't help out with the size of it. I do have both the OverSpray Clay and a Mild Detailers line bar and the DL clay is ba bigger bar, of course you get two per package with the Overspray.

Overspray on left, Detailers clay on right

Comment

Slats,

For an all around general clay the mild bars work very well. I have not had a situation where the mild bar didn't work. I think it's a bit nicer to the paint. The aggressive one would only be for bad overspray or very neglected paint. Once you get a Detailer bar you'll never go back.

For lube I have been using final detail (the pink stuff) and it works very nicely.

BTW, after using the clay bar I put a half a spritz of final detail in the case with the bar and it keeps it from drying out a lot.
                      Later,
                      Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
                      Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

Which is better mild or aggresive?
                        For a good 'all-round' clay, i would suggest going with the mild. The agressive would be useful, in my opinion, to go after heavier overspray and similar surface problems.

And there are two bars in each jar, right?

There are two 100g bars in the Meguiar's Body Shop Professional Overspray Clay jar. Future clay products offered from Meguiar's will contain one 200g bar.

Also, will quick detailer still work or is it better to use final inspection?

FI or FD are both great choices for lubrication for your clay. Either will perform for this intended purpose.

Finally, the clay bar included in the "Quick Clay" kit is a 3.5oz bar (net). Also included in that kit, as you mentioned, is a full-bottle (16 oz/473mL) of Quick Detailer.

Hope that helps out a bit. If you have further questions, please feel free to post!

--RP
                        -The Final Detail-
                        Lagrange, Kentucky
                        thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
                        CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Re: Bigger is better, right?

I was just talking about clay in another tread and I had a great idea. I currently use Clay Magic, but in K-mart today I decided to look at the Meguiar's quick clay for when I need a replacement. So I opened the box to see what the clay looked like and this tiny little bar fell out. I don't mean to criticize, but if it were a candy bar I would need to buy two or three.
                          If I recall correctly, the Quik Clay is 100g and Clay Magic includes an 80g bar? Maybe it's the other way around? They aren't all that different in size, though. And you get a much bigger bottle of QD to go with it when you get the Meguiar's kit. They are both about $10. It seemed like a reasonable size to me...
                          1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
                          2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
                          1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');