• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do I need to clay my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How often do I need to clay my car?

Some people use a plastic baggie to heighten their sensitivity to contaminants on the surface but from a big picture point of view, either that paint has bonded contaminants and you need to clay it or not.

Does that make sense? If you feel your car's paint with your clean hand and feel little bumps then you need to clay the car. Doing so with a plastic baggie or the wrapper off a pack of cigarettes, (another popular option discussed on forums), doesn't change that you still need to clay the car.

In the BIGGER picture, if the car has not been clayed for a while and it's a daily driver that's parked outside at least some portion of each day then it's likely it needs to be clayed no matter how you check for above surface bonded contaminants.

Our Honda Pilot is parked inside our garage all the time except when we use to to go out or to go the store. The point being is it's hardly ever parked outside where it can be come contaminated. Yet after I wash the paint and then inspect it, I almost always feel little bumps on the paint that signify somethings landed on it, bonded to it, hasn't washed off and now I need to clay the paint again.

So if this is happening to a car that spend most of it's time under cover, out of the open air and wind and it gets above surface bonded contaminants then cars parked in the elements more than this probably also need to be clayed after probably only a few weeks to a month, (if they're parked outside), whether you feel with just your hand or with a baggie.

FWIW
    I never us a baggie to inspect my paint, I can feel with my sense of touch well enough to make the clay/no clay decision before waxing or going into a full detail session.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

maybe..anyone can recommended a product name....for frequent used of clay...

Comment

Originally posted by janjirock View Post
        maybe..anyone can recommended a product name....for frequent used of clay...
        The Meguiars Smooth Surface clay kit

or you could purchase the new clay bar replacement pack
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Well, of course it has been asked before. But simply,

Smooth Surface / Quick Clay (White) - Mild
          Pro-Line Mild Clay (Blue) - Mild/Medium
          Pro-Line Aggressive Clay (Red) - Strong

Should not need more than the white or blue clay as far as every day use. The Red clay can leave marring, best to only use it if following up with a machine to buff the paint.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Let assume that i detail my car today then i found after one weekthat i need to clay my car so what shall i do after claying my car?

polishing then wax or ....?

Comment

So you clayed the finish one week and a week later it needs to be clayed again? That's some fast-acting contamination!
              Alex C.

Comment

so what are the actions behind that.
                Is that means that I should polish and wax the car again ?

Comment

Wax, definitely. But cleaning and polishing, that's really your call. Does it look like the paint finish would benefit from either before an LSP? If you want, you could clay the paint then use an AIO(all in one) like ColorX or D151.
                  Alex C.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Penn
                    I didn't think that we have to do it often.
                    You might not need to do it often. All depends on the environment, and when you feel like doing it.

Cant say I always clay the minute I need to.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

if i were you after washing and dry with a towel and QD do the sandwhich bag check and see if it needs it.
                      if so i always say polish then wax as the paint will get cleaned/cleansed and remove any faint marring that you or the clay may have caused ( it does happen from time to time )
                      if your doing it very often use the megs quick clay kit or just the clay with a mild mix of bottled water and ph neutral shampoo.
                      anything more aggressive will cause marring and will result in definate polishing and even maybe DA/rotary work to correct it.
                      Beau Technique
                      Member of the autoshine sv detailing network and dodo juice authorised detailer in the UK.

Happy days maxin the waxin.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        You might not need to do it often. All depends on the environment, and when you feel like doing it.

Cant say I always clay the minute I need to.
                        Our buddy Carl was a spammer. Ignore his baloney post. Carry on

Comment

sounds like you needed to have applied more pressure with the clay, make more passes, or move up to a more aggressive clay bar

Comment

IMO is when I can feel transfer on the surface or at least see it. I have trees on my yard that can leave stuff or exhaust from the tail pipe will get on the bumper or hatch.

Comment

I like the answer to this, most people just recommend 1-2 times a year. The whole depending on what is floating in the air approach is good. What i usually do is just do a good visual inspection and run my hands over the finish while washing it. I usually can tell by the way my hand glides when it needs claying done to the finish
                              gainesvilledetailing.com is my blog about anything and everything automotive as well as the web since both are my passion.

Comment

Mike, i'd really appreciate your input on this question....if i took a spray bottle..filled it up with water and added a meguiars car wash such as gold class to the bottle and make it the proper water:soap ratio..can i use that as lubrication for claying ? buying quick detailer all the time can get expensive..people have been telling me that i cannot use a car wash solution because it wont lubricate as well as quick detailer and that the car wash will in due time break down the clay and make it useless...but from my point of view, isnt one of the great purposes of quality car washes such as gold class shampoo to offer superior lubricity ? so shouldnt using gold class car wash be a great substitute as lubrication for claying..you get what i mean ? i just need a professionals answer for this..clay bars i get from a friend who owns a detialing shop and he always gives me bars of clay. but i just dont want to have to keep buying quick detailer if i could use my own solution of clean water and a meguiars car wash.
                                Addicted

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');