• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do I need to clay my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How often do I need to clay my car?

from a maintenance prospective:

If the above surface bonded contaminants remain stuck, wash after wash, can't they just remain? Are they damaging the paint in any way by staying?

If you don't power polish/abrasively clean your vehicle (you only wash and wax). The chances of removing those bonded contaminants and working them into the paint are pretty slim as well, yes/no?
    Some of it depends what the contaminant is. Something that is metallic and could rust/stain the paint, or maybe acidic that will etch the paint more deeply as time goes on would cause more of a hassle than just claying regularly.

As far as would they break loose and be dragged around... maybe, probably slim, but still a chance.

from a visual perspective:

Are millions of tiny bonded surface contaminants actually blocking your eye from seeing the paint. You can still see the paint, just not as well. Kind of like looking through a dirty window.

Or is a case, that the contaminants are not allowing light to refract in one direction, it's bouncing light all over the place, reducing a mirror like shine?

perhaps it's both.

comments...
    Definitely looks and feels better....
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i am use the Gold Class Shampoo and water with Meguiar`s clay. i like... in Moscow the bottle of Quick Detailer coast near 400 rubles-it expensive

Comment

Claying is good, even if done a bit more frequently. Depends on the environment, one may need it done more frequently if the environment is poor. It would be better for paint than allowing the contaminants to accumulate, and it does add more clarity, brightness or depth, allows for easier application and removal of cleaners, polish.glaze and wax but to me the biggest difference is in the slickness of the paint given by the extra claying step

Comment

Thanks for sharing this interesting information.I paid little attention to this in everyday life.Since I had to worry for.
          Vietnam tours-Halong cruise-Calypso Halong bay

Comment

I use to do it twice a month, it was my friend’s advice
            Direct flights to Male for a luxurious holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by dragontail View Post
              I use to do it twice a month, it was my friend’s advice
              Twice a month is probably more than needed, unless in an area with lots of fallout landing on the car.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Too frequent... Once every couple of months is OK, but twice a month is just a bit too frequent. Again, it will depend on the environment, sometimes you can get away with using a body solvent or mild mineral spirit type of cleaner for those stubborn spots.

Comment

Unless your traveling 1000+ miles a month, thats to much. Also your chance of marring the paint are much greater.

Comment

Claying is non-abrasive to the finish. So you can clay as often .
                    Wondering how to get music noticed?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluediamond View Post
                      Claying is non-abrasive to the finish. So you can clay as often .
                      If it's often, always use a low-agressive clay and use lots of lubes. And again, I would like to read 'often' as every 4-6 months :-)

Comment

As I've posted elsewhere in this forum, I have multiple environmental issues which will require me to clay at least twice/month, if not more frequently.

These are the environmental issues I deal with:

• My DD is parked outdoors 100% of the time (covered at my apartment but open at work)
                        • I drive 600+ miles/week on interstate highways through sagebrush/mixed conifer forest;
                        • At work, park in the open in a pine forest, subject to tree sap, pollen and bird droppings;
                        • Office complex at work is wooden, and painters spay varnish to protect the wood, making the car susceptible to overspray (great example at the beginning of this thread!);
                        • Winter driving includes being subjected to road salt, sand and splashover from passing vehicles;
                        • Summer driving exposes car to road dust, grease and high winds, which carry additional contaminants.

To keep the car looking good, I see that I will need to clay much more frequently than many of you.

This time I polished and followed up with wax. Depending on the condition of the finish after claying, I'll either need to up the aggressiveness of the polishing compound or recognize that a mirror like finish will be virtually impossible.

I'm willing to put in the work, but could definitely see investing in a DA orbiter shortly.

And following with the comment from our friend in Russia: Is there a bulk size QD (gallon or larger) which consumers can order? I could definitely benefit.

Thanks for reading.

bdd
                        2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

@Bill. Just curious, are you doing a baggie test to feel your finish after washing/drying your vehicle? Or how do you determine it's about time to clay?

Comment

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
                            @Bill. Just curious, are you doing a baggie test to feel your finish after washing/drying your vehicle? Or how do you determine it's about time to clay?
                            No baggie test. I got a recommendation from the manager of the local AutoZone store to rub my fingers over the surface and see if it felt sticky.

It did, so I did. I couldn't see the contamination, but I could definitely feel it.

I'll have to check weekly to see how it holds up.

I do have a follow on question though: If I clay again soon, do I need to rewax afterward?
                            2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

I would trust the information on here rather than autozone employee who is not as knowledgeable. The baggie test is a great way to determine if you need to clay. I could see you claying 2 maybe 3 times a year. You should definitely be using ultimate wax. Although due to the harsh environment your vehicle goes through, you may want to invest in a permanent coating. Anytime you clay you want to follow up with a wax or sealant.
                              99 Grand Prix
                              02 Camaro SS

Comment

Yes Sir. You will have to re wax after using the claybar as it not only removes contaminents but also removes any existing layers of wax.

You should try the baggie test for yourself though, it sure can't hurt to see if it helps your sense of touch. I personaly am not very good at being able to touch for contaminents without a plastic baggie.. Some people, like Senor Stoops seem to have the natural smooth touch. But next time, after you wash & dry your car try a baggie test on a panel, then walk over to another car and feel the differences for yourself to get an idea of what you're working with. :good day

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');