• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do I need to clay my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How often do I need to clay my car?

Originally posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Yes Sir. You will have to re wax after using the claybar as it not only removes contaminents but also removes any existing layers of wax.

You should try the baggie test for yourself though, it sure can't hurt to see if it helps your sense of touch. I personaly am not very good at being able to touch for contaminents without a plastic baggie.. Some people, like Senor Stoops seem to have the natural smooth touch. But next time, after you wash & dry your car try a baggie test on a panel, then walk over to another car and feel the differences for yourself to get an idea of what you're working with. :good day
    Thanks for all your help with this--clearly, I hadn't ever clayed any vehicle prior to this one, so all suggestions/tips are appreciated.

And I have an extremely sensitive touch, but will try the baggie test next time.

The AutoZone employee suggested claying the vehicle followed with wax. I decided to apply polish.
    2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Hey it's great to be able to help in any way:]
      It reminds me of the words that Barry Meguiar wrote as the foreword to the Meguiars catolog they were nice enough to give us at the detailing 101 Sat. class the other day...
      He basicly said what makes this hobby of ours great is the common interest that's shared and seems to naturally attract inherently good people that can easily form a common bond based on the universal passion we have for our cars. Aka the OCD.
      And best of all, the make, model, price or whatever is not what matters in this genre of car interest. It's built on our appreciation of how much work[the fun kind of work] and perseverance that's required to take ANY car to show car status!

That's the cliffnotes of what he said... But when I 1st read it, I thought to myself, this guy is so cool because he Totally gets it!

And that's why people can find communicating somewhat "easy" among ourselves. Because not only are we car guys [as Barry calls us] But we're Meguiars kind of people.. And if you know what I mean, you know it's all about providing a helping hand to good people.

I had the honor to speak to Barry Meguiar and shake hands & exchange my appreciation for making this hobby such an ideal experience like only a limited few companies accross all avenues of life are generous enough to provide for it's consumers. It's the sort of stuff that Has to come from the heart! It cannot be faked. And talking to Barry, even for just a few minutes, the dude is the real deal true classy gentleman, without a doubt.

Cheers!

Comment

Yes Sir. You will have to re wax after using the claybar as it not only removes contaminents but also removes any existing layers of wax.

You should try the baggie test for yourself though, it sure can't hurt to see if it helps your sense of touch. I personaly am not very good at being able to touch for contaminents without a plastic baggie.. Some people, like Senor Stoops seem to have the natural smooth touch. But next time, after you wash & dry your car try a baggie test on a panel, then walk over to another car and feel the differences for yourself to get an idea of what you're working with. :good day
        Appreciate the additional info. This past Saturday I washed, clayed, polished and waxed (least aggressive clay, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Carnuaba Wax).

Monday it snowed.

And I noticed black flecks on the front bumper and hood. (Thinking it is cast off rubber from a semi-truck.)

I may be claying again this weekend.
        2016 red Hyundai Azera, acquired with 21 miles. Drive 600+ miles/week. Commercial RE agent in CA focusing on properties in the Truckee/Lake Tahoe basin.

Comment

Dang that's unfortunate when something like that happens just after getting it so spotless. It didn't come off after just a wash?

Comment

Dang that's unfortunate when something like that happens just after getting it so spotless. It didn't come off after just a wash?
            Thanks.

The timing of it was that the snow and black flecks appeared on the same day--two days after the wash, clay, polish, wax routine.

QD took the flecks off with no problem the day after I noticed them.

Now, I have discovered a touchless car wash within a mile of my apartment, so I'll be using it from now on (and I think the cute girl I mentioned in another thread quit, taking away the last 'reason' to keep beating up my car).

Touchless is much cheaper too, and the wash takes Visa cards! (No need to bust out my pants pockets with all those quarters!)

I picked up some SwirlX to take care of the swirl marks--since the car is only a few months old, I didn't think a more aggressive treatment would be appropriate.

DA orbiter on the shopping list for next time.

Now, if I had been taking it weekly for a year, then 205 would have been my first choice.

Here is a question for the group:

Several people have mentioned stronger chemicals used at touchless wash facilities.

I would prefer not to use a sealant--does that mean I'll need to wax after each wash?

Appreciate this forum and all the collective knowledge here!

bdd

Comment

Do it as often as you like. As long as the claying doesn't start etching the paint. It's yur baby, no amount of care will be enough.

Comment

Simple solution to check the cars I do to see if they need claying. Check it with the back of your hand. If it feels sandy, it needs claying

Comment

I like to clay mine every 2 yrs. You feel the difference

Comment

I put my fingers into a plastic sandwich baggie, and then lightly move my fingers across the paint, after washing it. The baggie magnifies the "bumps" and will let you know it the vehicle needs clay baring.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');