How often do I need to clay my car? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How often do I need to clay my car?

Re: How often do I need to clay my car?

Quote Originally Posted by dragontail View Post
    I use to do it twice a month, it was my friend’s advice
    Twice a month is probably more than needed, unless in an area with lots of fallout landing on the car.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Too frequent... Once every couple of months is OK, but twice a month is just a bit too frequent. Again, it will depend on the environment, sometimes you can get away with using a body solvent or mild mineral spirit type of cleaner for those stubborn spots.

Detailers Workshop

Unless your traveling 1000+ miles a month, thats to much. Also your chance of marring the paint are much greater.

Claying is non-abrasive to the finish. So you can clay as often .
    Wondering how to get music noticed?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluediamond View Post
    Claying is non-abrasive to the finish. So you can clay as often .
    If it's often, always use a low-agressive clay and use lots of lubes. And again, I would like to read 'often' as every 4-6 months :-)

As I've posted elsewhere in this forum, I have multiple environmental issues which will require me to clay at least twice/month, if not more frequently.

These are the environmental issues I deal with:

• My DD is parked outdoors 100% of the time (covered at my apartment but open at work)
    • I drive 600+ miles/week on interstate highways through sagebrush/mixed conifer forest;
    • At work, park in the open in a pine forest, subject to tree sap, pollen and bird droppings;
    • Office complex at work is wooden, and painters spay varnish to protect the wood, making the car susceptible to overspray (great example at the beginning of this thread!);
    • Winter driving includes being subjected to road salt, sand and splashover from passing vehicles;
    • Summer driving exposes car to road dust, grease and high winds, which carry additional contaminants.

To keep the car looking good, I see that I will need to clay much more frequently than many of you.

This time I polished and followed up with wax. Depending on the condition of the finish after claying, I'll either need to up the aggressiveness of the polishing compound or recognize that a mirror like finish will be virtually impossible.

I'm willing to put in the work, but could definitely see investing in a DA orbiter shortly.

And following with the comment from our friend in Russia: Is there a bulk size QD (gallon or larger) which consumers can order? I could definitely benefit.

Thanks for reading.

bdd

@Bill. Just curious, are you doing a baggie test to feel your finish after washing/drying your vehicle? Or how do you determine it's about time to clay?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    @Bill. Just curious, are you doing a baggie test to feel your finish after washing/drying your vehicle? Or how do you determine it's about time to clay?
    No baggie test. I got a recommendation from the manager of the local AutoZone store to rub my fingers over the surface and see if it felt sticky.

It did, so I did. I couldn't see the contamination, but I could definitely feel it.

I'll have to check weekly to see how it holds up.

I do have a follow on question though: If I clay again soon, do I need to rewax afterward?

I would trust the information on here rather than autozone employee who is not as knowledgeable. The baggie test is a great way to determine if you need to clay. I could see you claying 2 maybe 3 times a year. You should definitely be using ultimate wax. Although due to the harsh environment your vehicle goes through, you may want to invest in a permanent coating. Anytime you clay you want to follow up with a wax or sealant.

Yes Sir. You will have to re wax after using the claybar as it not only removes contaminents but also removes any existing layers of wax.

You should try the baggie test for yourself though, it sure can't hurt to see if it helps your sense of touch. I personaly am not very good at being able to touch for contaminents without a plastic baggie.. Some people, like Senor Stoops seem to have the natural smooth touch. But next time, after you wash & dry your car try a baggie test on a panel, then walk over to another car and feel the differences for yourself to get an idea of what you're working with. :good day

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information