• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concrete Dust Hard Water Spotting on 2K5 Accord EX - Seeking Ideas on a Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concrete Dust Hard Water Spotting on 2K5 Accord EX - Seeking Ideas on a Fix

Hello,

A few weeks back I was on my way home from work and drove through a construction site on the freeway when there was a mist like 'rain' at the time.

Knowing how dusty those places are before it rains, I think some concrete dust mixed into the road spray and is now all over the passenger side of my car. Looks like bad hard water spots. Typical washing doesn't remove the 'damage' at all. Upon drying, they're back. I tested with a wet fingernail and gently "scraped" a few spots to see if the spots could be removed. It appears that they can.

What product, if any, can I use to return the clearcoat back to it's original look???

Car was purchased on 7/1/05 so I think by now the paint/clearcoat may have finally cured.

I hope that the residue it left behind isn't too corrosive to the clear coat and that it can be fixed with minimal repair.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Last edited by salmonfisher; Aug 6, 2005, 11:56 AM.
    got Fish? Get Hooked!

Go for the Megs Quick Clay Detailing System. I'm picking one up tomorrow to do my car.

Hope this helps.
    Alex
    '01 Blk Max. SE
    '03 Blk G35 Sedan (GF's car)

"Hooked on Clay"

Comment

Claying is the way to go. After that you might also want to go with a paint cleaner like the deep crystal paint cleaner to insure they are removed.

Greg
      Pinnacle Detailing

Comment

Update...

Just tested out removing spots with Meguiars Cleaner/Wax in Beige colored bottle. Seems to do the trick!!! Also I noticed just before the test that with a dry fingernail, lightly brushing over the spots, I can remove residue and doesn't seem as abrasive as originally thought. This is good news no doubt!!!

All I need to do is rewash the car, dry and either clay it or go over it with the cleaner/wax.

Now I've noticed that over quite a few years the claying seems to be the 'in' thing to do. What I don't understand is that isn't the clay in itself abrasive, moreso than the formulated cleaners/waxes we can buy? Also, isn't it a PITA to clean off???

Thanks again,

Jeff
        Last edited by salmonfisher; Aug 6, 2005, 02:01 PM.
        got Fish? Get Hooked!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');