• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soft Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soft Paint?

Hi All,

A few weeks ago, I detailed a black '98 Ford Explorer (Eddie Bauer Edition) for someone I know, but every time it gets wet, the area just under the water spot turns milky white looking.......(Sort of like when you leave a cold wet glass on a piece of furniture too long, and the condensation has left a water mark in the wood.)

The day that I was to detail the SUV, I noticed that the top areas had severe water spot etching. It was so bad that I told my wife that the hood looked like a piece mica!

I was thinking that the water stains were maybe due to washing the vehicle with hard water, but I'm not so sure now.

I worked about 20 to 22 hours trying to buff out the stains with a PC/W8006/DACP combo, and I managed removed about 90 percent of them IMO. After topping it with one coat of NXT, I was sure that there would be no more problems, but that has not been the case, as the owner has informed me about how milky the paint looks when it gets wet.

In all of my years of detailing, I've never experienced anything like this.

Regretfully, I only took "after" photos of the vehicle, and this is the only one I have now, until the next roll gets developed.

I guess this picture is not much help, but I thought that I would show it anyway....

This is the original factory paint, but could this be a problem associated with soft paint?
    Last edited by rusty bumper; Aug 7, 2005, 11:27 AM.
    r. b.

Bump
    r. b.

Comment

The paint is porous and moister is getting down into it. They should go away when it dries.
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
        The paint is porous and moister is getting down into it. They should go away when it dries.
        You mean the water marks?

Is this a sign of soft paint? (It has clear coat paint)
        Last edited by rusty bumper; Aug 7, 2005, 01:31 PM.
        r. b.

Comment

I think he meant the milky looks will go away once dry. If it water spots super easy even with the protection of fresh wax, then the paint is super soft.
          Rangerpowersports.com
          Ranger72

Comment

Yes, the milky look goes away when the water dries up, but how can moisture even penetrate a wax such as NXT?

I mean, is that possible?
            Last edited by rusty bumper; Aug 7, 2005, 04:50 PM.
            r. b.

Comment

It is a sign of porous paint.

Years ago I had no idea what it was. I tried to color sand and buff them out. Nothing worked until they dried and went away.

They would return next time we washed the vehicle.
              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                It is a sign of porous paint.

Years ago I had no idea what it was. I tried to color sand and buff them out. Nothing worked until they dried and went away.

They would return next time we washed the vehicle.
                When you say "porous" paint, is that another term for soft paint?

Porous paint sounds like defective paint to me, but I'm just drawing straws here.

I wonder if Ford would be willing to repaint it?
                r. b.

Comment

It has pores like a sponge.

Comment

Is this a clear coat finish?

Is this a factory finish?
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                      Is this a clear coat finish?

Is this a factory finish?
                      Yes, it's a clearcoated factory finish.
                      r. b.

Comment

Rusty Bumper,

Your problems and description are exactly what i'm facing. Whenever i wash my car, the white milky spots appear. When it dries, it dissapears.

So, i sent it to a detailer to get rid of it. He did the whole works on my car, No.85, No.83, No.80 and NXT. Despite the entire process, the white milky spots still appear whenever i wash my car.

Also, during the detailing process, there was a problem with the application of No.80. It would stick to my paint and was extremely difficult to buff off. The detailer said that my clearcoat was very soft and porous.

I posted my problem in the forum but did not find a solution, so i'm still stuck with this white spots and avoid No.80 for that particular car.

P.

Comment

Sounds like both of these problems are specific to the paint used on the car.
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by prince_ramses
                            Rusty Bumper,

Your problems and description are exactly what i'm facing. Whenever i wash my car, the white milky spots appear. When it dries, it dissapears.

So, i sent it to a detailer to get rid of it. He did the whole works on my car, No.85, No.83, No.80 and NXT. Despite the entire process, the white milky spots still appear whenever i wash my car.

Also, during the detailing process, there was a problem with the application of No.80. It would stick to my paint and was extremely difficult to buff off. The detailer said that my clearcoat was very soft and porous.

I posted my problem in the forum but did not find a solution, so i'm still stuck with this white spots and avoid No.80 for that particular car.

P.
                            Thanks for your post P,

I used #80 on the finish as a followup to #83, but I had no problems removing it.

Is your paint factory applied clear coat?......And do you have problems with water spot etching?
                            r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                              Sounds like both of these problems are specific to the paint used on the car.
                              I'm thinking the same thing, but I wonder how factory applied clear coated paint could turn out this way?

Any ideas?

I mean, would you ask for a repaint from Ford?
                              r. b.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');