• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercedes-Benz NXT Generation Garage Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Mike for this very informative and helpful event. I am now hooked on the products and was very happy to purchase a DAP at a very good price.

I took a picture of my car later when I got home. It's a large picture but it lets you see the reflection.

2004 E55 RENNtech
    Tectite Grey
    Charcoal/Merlot

Comment

Originally posted by breastroker
      Mike,
      I will be getting some #83 for my older MB 300SEL 6.3, but looking at the http://www.showcargarage.com website people are using NXT with #81 a lot. I looked all through the Meguiars website looking for #81 and could not find it. Tim mentioned using #80 Speed Glaze on on newer vehicles.
      #81 on Meguiars.com

#80 on Meguiars.com

Eric
      Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Once again, thanks for putting on the event today!

It was very informative, and your passion for Meguiar's and its car care products is very contagious.

NXT is amazing. I can't wait to try it on both my champagne silver E320 and my wife's black Infiniti G20.

There were some questions about #83. It is not an agressive product. Unless the paint on your car is brand new and flawless, virtually everyone will probably need to start out with $83 and a yellow polishing pad to get rid of minor imperfections / cobweb effect, etc., then step down to #82 (or #9). If you're reeeeeeaaaaaally anal, you can apply #81 (or #7), then NXT.

Comment

I blew it not getting more stuff yesterday. Should have gotten some #83 and a clay bar. I drove arround to 4 stores before getting some clay at Autozone. $10 for clay and lubricant was a good deal. At least one Autozone had some professional stuff. They had Scratch X, too strong for my cob webs. They had some 26 wax and some #7 polish. So I spent two hours washing and claying the car. Then another 90 minutes with #7 on an 8006 pad starting at 2.5 on the Porter Cable and finally getting up to 5.0.

Taking a short rest, then the NXT wax on a 9006 pad on the PC.
          I think 95% of the cobwebs are gone, when viewed in bright sunlight. Amazing how a one year old car has cobwebs. I am sure it is from taking the car to the $50 car wash/Pro wax job. Hand waxed

I have 4 tiny nicks in the hood from rocks, so next time I will fill these and wait two weeks, then #83 DACP, some 82, and use up the rest of the #7. Then some NXT wax.

Tell the Meguiars that they may give out some product in their goody bag, but I have already spent $200 since yesterday on Meguiars products. And it looks like much more in the future. Plus I got some one in the wax isle at Kragens to switch from Turtle wax to $35 worth of Meguiars products. Another convert:p

Not one of the 4 stores had NXT products yet. None had a complete line up of products. Finding clay bars and micro-fiber towels are difficult. Fortunately I have at least a dozen micro-fiber towels. The only way to take off wax.

Comment

Well done at last. Love the NXT wax. Easy on, easy off. Great shine.

Is it just me, or is the NXT booster wax REAL slow to dry? I tried some on the hood, took twice as long to dry as the NXT wax.

Still the car looks great, to late for a photo, but no cobwebs at all.
            Cleaner and less white paste showing than Griots Garage "Best of Show" wax. And twice the wax of less money too.

Comment

Originally posted by zeronero
              Mike Philips is the MAN!!!! I have never met anyone who loves his job so much. He really does go the extra mile and seems to know everything that can be known about the exterior of a car. We should all contact his boss and tell him to give him a raise!
              That quote was from the previous GTG and I am still sticking with it

The NXT line has already proven itself
              Last edited by zeronero; Feb 8, 2004, 10:12 PM.

Comment

WOW.. That red SL looks awesume. The paint looked like it was a little tired from UV wear when I was talking to the owner. It sure looks like the paint got a great boost from our clinic!!!!

Comment

It did come out really well. Sad to say, I only have one before picture and it's not very good. Maybe the owner has one and will post it.

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Early Saturday morning, Mercedes-Benz owners started showing up for the Mercedes-Benz NXT Generation Clinic at Meguiar’s Garage. The parking lot at Meguiar’s filled up with over 30 Mercedes-Benz, 1-Ferrari, 1-Acura TL, and 1 Lexus. Below is a row of Mercedes-Benz automobiles with many classes represented.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

A few Mercedes-Benz owners who have participated in previous Meguiar’s clinic can be seen here taking advantage of some protective parking. This indicates to me they are both conscience and protective of their cars finish.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Shortly after 9:00am, everyone is invited to come into the Training Classroom for a fun and lively presentation on Meguiar’s products including the new [b]NXT Generation product line, other new Meguiar's products, as well as the Consumer line, the Professional line and even some of the Detailer line.

Fresh pastries and coffee were available to hold everyone over till lunch.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

After the power point presentation and a lively discussion on paint, products and procedures, we headed out to the garage for a demonstration. One member, who had recently had the front of his car repainted, volunteered his car for the demonstration. Even though it was professionally painted, the buffing work after painting left buffer swirls and cobweb-scratches throughout the entire finish on the hood.

Here's a little closer shot of the cobweb-effect and buffer swirls...

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

In this shot we’re preparing the finish for buffing, including taping off and covering trim, wiper arms etc. and also taping off and covering the passenger side of the hood using painters tape and some clean 100% cotton towels.

In this shot, I briefly explain the oscillating action of the G-100 Dual Action Polisher and how this oscillating action is both effective, yet safe on fine finishes. Because the unit is lightweight and easy to control, anyone can use one and achieve professional results.

In this shot we're using the G-100 Dual Action Polisher, with a Meguiar's W-8006 foam polishing pad, together with Meguiar’s M-8332 Dual Action Cleaner Polish on about the 5.0 setting.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

This is the result after using Meguiar’s #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish, followed by one coat of NXT Tech Wax, both applied using Meguiar’s G-100 Dual Action Polisher with dedicated W-8006 foam polishing pads.

If you look closely, you will see that the cobweb-effect and the swirls were not 100% completely removed but a vast majority of them were removed. To completely remove all defects and restore a 100% absolutely flawless finish to extremely swirled paint like the condition this hood was in, require more advanced products and procedures as well as often requiring the use of a rotary buffer.

Still... not bad for a two-step procedure that anyone can perform.

Sun reflecting on the demarcation line,

Sun reflection shots on the side that was polished and waxed,

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

More pictures to come later, but it's time now for some fun!

Extreme Makeover - 1986 Ford Bronco II

Until then, here a few more pictures for the Mercedes-Benz NXT day at Meguiar's. After the demonstration, everyone jumped into action. Here's a gentleman removing NXT Tech Wax,

Here's a reflection shot of a tree on the hood of an attendees Mercedes-Benz after applying one coat of NXT Tech Wax,

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');