• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercedes-Benz NXT Generation Garage Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schmohey
    If your going to use

"Meguiar’s #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish"
    do you still need to use the clay?
    It depends on the condition of your paint.

If your paint is neglected and has a lot of embedded contaminants, the DACP with the PC (Porter Cable dual action random orbital polisher) might not be enough.

If you use DACP with a rotary buffer, then you surely wouldn't need the clay.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. Use the DACP with a PC, and then rub your hand over the paint. If it is smooth as glass, then you are done. If it is has a gritty feeling, then you can either continue to use the DACP some more, or clay and then go back to the DACP.

Comment

Originally posted by Suginami
      It depends on the condition of your paint.

If your paint is neglected and has a lot of embedded contaminants, the DACP with the PC (Porter Cable dual action random orbital polisher) might not be enough.

If you use DACP with a rotary buffer, then you surely wouldn't need the clay.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. Use the DACP with a PC, and then rub your hand over the paint. If it is smooth as glass, then you are done. If it is has a gritty feeling, then you can either continue to use the DACP some more, or clay and then go back to the DACP.
      I see. Is it possible to use DACP with hand, and no machine?

For the pad sizes for these machines, is it possible to put the 6.5" pads on a 5" or 7" machine?
      Last edited by Schmohey; Feb 21, 2004, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I see. Is it possible to use DACP with hand, and no machine?

For the pad sizes for these machines, is it possible to put the 6.5" pads on a 5" or 7" machine?
        Yes. Just about all of Meguiar's product work fine when applied by hand. The mere action of a pad or terry cloth applicator against the paint has a polishing or compounding / cleaning action in itself.

Regarding pad size, all of the pads use the same backing plate.

I like using the smallest pads Meguiar's sells - the 6.5" ones.

Why?

You get more control since the pad is smaller. You also avoid hitting things like door handles, windshield wiper nozzles, antena's, etc. that you would hit with the larger pads.

Comment

I see. Thanks for your help.

One more thing though, you recommended using the #83, #82, and then #81. What is the benefit of using the 82 and 81? Do all these products (83,82,81) come in consumer line? Pro line products are better?

Will using ColorX improve the body?
          Last edited by Schmohey; Feb 22, 2004, 12:28 AM.

Comment

You can actually go directly to a wax / sealant, like Gold Class or NXT, directly after applying DACP, but I think you'll get even better results by stepping down to finer and finer products, ending in a product with no abrading / cleaning component (a pure polish like #7 or #81), and then a wax.

It's the same idea when you are finishing wood.

You start with a fairly rough sandpaper, like 200 grit, and then stepping down to finer and finer sandpaper, until the wood is as clear and reflective as glass.

I know eventually it is a point of diminishing returns when you are stepping down to finer and finer products, but you are increasing the clarity of the paint, which increases depth and gloss.

The same concept applies with the paint on your car.

#82 is a less aggressive product than #83 (DACP), so you are getting out finer and finer sanding marks. #82, by the way, is basically the same product as #9 v. 2.0 that you'll find in most Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.

The numbered products in the tan bottles are the professional line, and are not available in the consumer line.

The difference is basically silicone. The professional products don't contain silicone because you cannot introduce silicone into a body shop environment because silicone does not apply paint to stick.

ColorX is just a cleaner wax, and is a one step product. If you want to use a one step cleaner wax, then I would prefer the $4.95 bottle of Meguiar's cleaner wax in the red bottle.

Comment

Technically, #83, #82, and #81 are the same thing just like sandpaper. #83 is more stronger (rough sandpaper), and #82, #81 is to smooth it?

What is the difference between #82 and #81?

After #83, (Maybe #82, #81) and the NXT wax, what would you do to keep the paint shiny? How often do you use #83 (#82, #81)?

Comment

ColorX is just a cleaner wax, and is a one step product. If you want to use a one step cleaner wax, then I would prefer the $4.95 bottle of Meguiar's cleaner wax in the red bottle.
                Just to chime in here,

(Hi Suginami )

ColorX is significantly more aggressive than Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax, (A-12). Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax is really only for light oxidation, and light surface cleaning. ColorX on the other hand is capable of tackling a wide range of neglected surfaces.

While I'm personally more likely to whip out the machines for neglected finishes, so far I have been very impressed with the results I have been able to produce with nothing by my hand, an applicator and ColorX.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Technically, #83, #82, and #81 are the same thing just like sandpaper. #83 is more stronger (rough sandpaper), and #82, #81 is to smooth it?

What is the difference between #82 and #81?

After #83, (Maybe #82, #81) and the NXT wax, what would you do to keep the paint shiny? How often do you use #83 (#82, #81)?
                  Each product removes finer and finer scratches, probably finer that what you can see with the naked eye. The result is that they make your paint clearer and clearer, meaning it will have more gloss and depth.

#82 is a polish with a very, very fine cleaning / compounding ability.

#81 is a pure polish, and is a beautifying product only.

Comment

Each product removes finer and finer scratches, probably finer that what you can see with the naked eye. The result is that they make your paint clearer and clearer, meaning it will have more gloss and depth.

#82 is a polish with a very, very fine cleaning / compounding ability.

#81 is a pure polish, and is a beautifying product only.
                    Then, can you use #81 directly, instead of #83, and get the same result?

Comment

Then, can you use #81 directly, instead of #83, and get the same result?
                      #81 has no compounding ability. It will not remove any defects or scratches in your paint. It just adds oils back into the paint to make it shine.

#83 and #82 clean and compound the paint. #83 is more aggressive than #82.

So yes, if your paint is in nearly perfect shape, then just use #81 and then any wax, like Gold Class, #26, #20, or NXT.

Comment

The hood on the black looked great after it was done. My girlfriend's truck looked like that when it got out of the body shop. When I detailed in Jan. I used #83 and my PC and it came out great. It didn't take out all of the defects, but they are not real noticable now. When I get practice with a rotory I will tackle them again.

Comment

Heads Up MBCA Members......

For MBCA Members living in San Diego, Meguiars still has space available for the upcoming detailing day on April 24th. If you haven't signed up yet what are you waiting for. You can email me if you like and I'll forward your information to the person in charge .

For MBCA members living outside of the SD area, IF SPACES REMAIN and you haven't had a chance to attend an event yet send me your info and I'll talk to the event coordinator about getting you in.
                          Afshin

2004 Pilot - Wifes Car
                          2002 CRV - Daily Driver
                          1990 Porsche 928 GT - Garage Queen

Comment

Hello Mike,
                            I am really new to this forum, but I am a regular on Detail City and Autopia. It sounds as if everyone enjoys your get togethers. Is ther, by any chance, an event on the East coast? I am in Hampton, Virginia and would love to bring my black Mustang to one of your clinics.

Thanks,
                            Lee

Comment

Re: Heads Up MBCA Members......

Originally posted by MBZ 500E
                              For MBCA Members living in San Diego, Meguiars still has space available for the upcoming detailing day on April 24th. If you haven't signed up yet what are you waiting for. You can email me if you like and I'll forward your information to the person in charge .

For MBCA members living outside of the SD area, IF SPACES REMAIN and you haven't had a chance to attend an event yet send me your info and I'll talk to the event coordinator about getting you in.
                              To Mike Phillips or MBZ 500E

One of my buddies would like to attend the event this weekend. He lives in Irvine (right by Meguiar's HQ).

Are there any openings left for this event?
                              His name is Chris, and he will be bringing his W202. You can email or PM me for more information if needed.

Thanks!
                              Danny
                              Danny
                              2002 MB CLK430

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');