• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speed glaze, removed swirls, but now tiny spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed glaze, removed swirls, but now tiny spots?

Hello everyone: I recently polished and waxed my 05 G35 BLACK(detailer's nightmare) coupe. I used DA Cleaner Polish on the hood and boot first to remove some hard water spots and swirls that the glaze is not strong enough for, then M80 on the entire car, then NXT.

The car looks great in full or part sun, the reflection it gives is great. So before I explain my issue, keep in mind that if this car was parked next to a dealer showroom car, most pople would pick this one as newer looking. However in direct sunlight, when looking at a small area up close, there are tiny little spots in the paint instead of swirl marks and cob web effects dealers like to install for you before you pickup your ride. Best I can describe it is that it looks like the black paint has a very light metallic to it, but it is actually just a sold jet black color. No one but a big time car nut detailer like me would notice, but was wondering if you all had any feedback. Tiny evenly spaced little specs all over, so fine, likely wouldn’t pick up on a camera, unless a 5megapix really up close

Also, I’m going to concede that it is impossible to have a near perfect finish on a regular use jet black car in a hot and very dusty and gritty environment. Neighbors already think I’ve lost it as I DA the car day or night, lol.

When you were working on the car was the surface cool? Were you in the shade? I have a black car and havent had any problems as long as i work on a cool surface. It sounds like you may not have gotten all of the product off before you moved on and it is now hard to remove.
    "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Did you do this by machine or hand?
      if machine, what kind?
      are the marks you are describing in a semi- circular pattern or straight lines?

~Lenny

Comment

Re: Speed glaze, removed swirls, but now tiny spots?

Originally posted by TexDetailer
        Tiny evenly spaced little specs all over, so fine, likely would’t pick up on a camera, unless a 5megapix really up close
        5 mega pixels is pretty good for a digital camera, maybe you could try different angles or different light settings and possibly capture what you're trying to explain?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey,

I believe I know what you are referring to. When the light hits the paint at just the right angle, you will see these tiny little spots. Usually, you have to look real close to see them. If so, I have found that this can happen if NXT Tech Wax is not given enough time to set up before removal. Hence, be sure to use the swipe test to verify that it is indeed ready to be removed.

I would apply another thin coat of NXT Tech Wax, allow it to set-up and then remove after performing the swipe test. That should take care of the spots!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

correct, you can only see it at an angle with the right light, otherwise it looks perfect. Under a shop light, you can NOT see it, only really close wile under direct sunlight. It is like the swirls were removed down to tiny little specs instead of lines was my first thought. Tiny little white specs.

I'll try another coat of NXT. How long should I let it dry? I'll apply and remove with PC this time, I have the mf bonnets.

I did all the steps with the machine (pc) except for the nxt step which I did by hand. Everything was done in the evenings, its over 100 here durring the day.
            Last edited by TexDetailer; Aug 9, 2005, 11:09 PM.

Comment

TexDetailer, I'm afraid what you experience on your car is the same (common) thing which I experience on my solid black car. It could be due to the acid rain pitting on the clearcoat level. Since you've cleared up alot of the swirls, these kind of defect shows up easily on solid black car. Any slight imperfection will be very significant to our eyes. Sometimes I learn how to live with it as clearing these defects might be a temporary solution and worst still, removing excessive clearcoat. I'm eager to view the photo.
              zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

I'm afraid I agree with Zey... I have a black 2000 Subaru Legacy that has spent its life outside with lots of acid rain etching. After a thorough cleaning with #83, all vertical surfaces were much clearer, but showed those same holes/pits/spots.

In fact, the acid rain etched spots on my hood right down to the primer coat (little tiny white cracks/scratches).

I now use Color Cure wax from (another manufacturer that remains nameless) which fills in most of these defects before final waxing with #26. Kinda works like black shoe polish.

Note that the rest of the car barring hood/trunk looks unbelievable, and even the "problem areas" look very good.

Comment

I'm in the desert, so I don't think its acid rain, but its not spots from the product either I found. Its like little spots instead of swirls, like the swirls were removed down to tiny specs almost?

Comment

Hey,

If the tiny little spots are actually in the paint, then it could be "solvent pop" from the curing process. Has the area been painted? If not, then it would be surprising if it was indeed solvent pop. If you do a google search for solvent pop in automotive paint, you should find some pictures. If so, compare to your paint. Does it look the same? If different, in what ways?

It is really hard to diagnose without a picture. Here is an idea, place your camera in the "P" mode, iso to auto, turn the flash off, and then stand back and use the zoom to focus on the spots. Place a towel on the paint close to the spots so the camera has something to lock in on. Once the camera is in focus, take the shot. If you have Photoshop, enlarge the picture to 100%. This should give you a close up of the pits that you can post.

We will keep trying to figure this out!

Tim

Comment

The car only has 5K miles, so no repaint.

Comment

Hey,

That is what I figured. We will have to keep trouble shooting until we figure out what you are seeing in your paint. With so few miles, we can eliminate many things. Hopefully, if you can get a photo of the area so we can get a better idea what it is.

Tim

Comment

The car only has 5K miles, so no repaint.

That doesn't mean the dealer never had sections repainted. They touch up cars all the time that get damaged from shipping.

Comment

its on the whole car, car was not repainted, saw them take the plastic off, know the dealer well. Its sandy here, its like tinny pits, starting to think the best thing is just fill it with some color wax like mentioned above.

You can't feel them, you can't even see them unless under direct sunlight at an angle. Something the G-100 could have caused?

Comment

its on the whole car, car was not repainted, saw them take the plastic off, know the dealer well. Its sandy here, its like tinny pits, starting to think the best thing is just fill it with some color wax like mentioned above.

You can't feel them, you can't even see them unless under direct sunlight at an angle. Something the G-100 could have caused?

You mentioned sandy..... out East in the winter God help you if your car gets behind or near a salt/sand truck... a lot of the damage on my hood looks like the pits could have been caused by abrasives hitting it. Unfortunately, we have a lot of traffic where I live, and a lot of idiots driving dump trucks that spew rocks, dirt, etc.... I've replaced four (4) windshields on my cars over the years as a result of my daily commute.

I don't think the G100 had anything to do with the damage. I'm hoping to get some pictures of my car also to see if any of you have seen similar issues and know how to deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');