• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boutique line of products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the NXT line was aimed at the enthusist so it could be considered a botique line by some. Also, I thought the now discontinued Medallion line was a botique line of products.

Meguiars will probably be introduciing new products in a few months at SEMA, if the past two or three years are anything to go by. If new products are released the products will anwser the demand of Meguiar's customers and fill gaps in the product line. Further Meguiars tries out new ideas from time to time.

I would like to a replacement for Medallion paint cleaner, a pure wax and pure synthetic sealant.

Eric
    Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Originally posted by Teak
      I would like to a replacement for Medallion paint cleaner....
      Eric
      That's been on my mind too.

MPPC is a great cleaner........Not sure why they discontinued it.
      r. b.

Comment

"Medallion line was a botique line of products"

Yes this is true but they are gone due to VOC regs , bring something like them back would be perfect , including a nice paste wax like #16
        "Always do right - this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
        -Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm thinking about replacing MPPC with #2.

I think it's about a "5" on the cleaning scale.......And if I'm not mistaken, MPPC was a "5" too.
          r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
            I'm thinking about replacing MPPC with #2.

I think it's about a "5" on the cleaning scale.......And if I'm not mistaken, MPPC was a "5" too.
            Some MOL members have used it and it good good reviews. I am curious about it too!

MPPC was a very good product! You can do a lot of good work with it when you have a PC. It worked wonders on my black TA!

RamAirV1
            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

So people want replacements for discontinued products and our willing to pay a premium for them.

How many people used or even heard of #16 before the buzz was started on the forums? I think more people used #26 or GC wax due to easy availabilty, easy to use liquid and cost.

How many people have used Medallion paint protection?
              How many new waxes/car care products are introduced every year and fail from any manufacture?

Since I mentioned GC, GC wax is beauty wax. The GC line at one point was a boutique line, a step above the regular line. Further more GC was more than a just wax and accessories, but was couple of chemicals, when originally launched in the mid 90's. I guess Meguiars has gone down the premium/boutique road before, and the general public and retail purchasing agents have spoken.

I like meguiars products because they work and are consistent in how they work. I will continue to use them whether or not there is boutique or premium line. I would will try new products if a new products or new product line is launched. I do use products from other companies because I am detail enthusiast.

Eric
              Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca
                Also, consider what Meguiar's introducing a boutique line would imply. It would have to imply one of two things: either 1) that the products they are producing aren't the best they could be, or 2) that they are willing to raise the price and relabel a product in order to profit more from the image of exclusivity. If either of those were true, what would the backlash be? My guess would be, considerable.
                Sorry, but I don't agree with that. Does marketing Gold Class as "our most reflective wax ever" imply that Meguiars Cleaner Wax is junk? What about the introduction of NXT? Did that mean up to that point, Meguiars wasn't putting out the best product they could? When Toyota introduced the Lexus brand, did the Camry become an also-ran?

Point is, there is a market for upscale products and people are willing to pay the price. It makes good business sense to at least take a look at that marketplace niche.
                Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Teak
                  Since I mentioned GC, GC wax is beauty wax. The GC line at one point was a boutique line, a step above the regular line. Further more GC was more than a just wax and accessories, but was couple of chemicals, when originally launched in the mid 90's. I guess Meguiars has gone down the premium/boutique road before, and the general public and retail purchasing agents have spoken.
                  I just was poking around MOL and found this thread. I've seen a lot of Scottwax's work and read a lot of his posts. He's definitely very knowledgeable and has a lot of great ideas. I definitely agree with the one he presented in this thread.

What I disagree with is that GC is a good example of a boutique product. I don't really disagree that the intention originally was to present GC as a step above other Megs products. However, any marketing person worth their pay check knows that boutique products should not be distributed through retailers like Wal-Mart. If GC was supposed to be a step above then someone really dropped the ball on that one.

Comment

Rather than a totally new botique product, how about a variation of an existing LSP with no cleaners, something similar to Mother's Top Coat? I was thinking something along the lines of NXT Tech Wax, only with zero cleaner in it?

I understand Meguiar's rationale for having small amounts of a specialized cleaner. But for a second coat, applied a short time after the first coat has fully cured, is a cleaner really necessary?
                    And a cleaner would theoretically remove some of the original LSP.
                    While it may be no big deal, wouldn't it be even better if none of the original LSP was removed by the second coat?

It could be called NXT Final Coat, or something along those lines.

Just something to think about.

RamAirV1
                    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
                      Rather than a totally new botique product, how about a variation of an existing LSP with no cleaners, something similar to Mother's Top Coat? I was thinking something along the lines of NXT Tech Wax, only with zero cleaner in it?

RamAirV1
                      Just to give a dead horse another kick, this is exactly what I was thinking. He mentioned MOTHER'S, they have a carnuaba 'cleaner' wax, AND a carnuaba 'Step 3', non-abrasive (no cleaners) wax.

As Meguiars enthusiasts we know that the cleaners in the Megs LSP products (NXT, #20, #21 etc) are exceptionally mild and don't really fit into the "cleaner wax" territory. But I'm sure you've all noticed all the drama & debate over the phrase "mild cleaners" in the product descriptions (at least 100+ pages combined in the discussion forums).

As I was typing this, I began to realize that it wouldn't work...It cannot be truely said that a product has NO cleaners in it, as the very carrier the product uses is a cleaner of sorts, regardless if it's water or a petrolium distillate. Even the uncured sealant could have some kind of cleaning properties. Even if a product is non abrasive, the application material IS...

Never mind, I'll stick to just being a user...
                      Don
                      12/27/2015
                      "Darth Camaro"
                      2013 Camaro ... triple black
                      323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don
                        As I was typing this, I began to realize that it wouldn't work...It cannot be truly said that a product has NO cleaners in it, as the very carrier the product uses is a cleaner of sorts, regardless if it's water or a petroleum distillate. Even the uncured sealant could have some kind of cleaning properties. Even if a product is non abrasive, the application material IS...

You bring up an interesting point, one that I don't have time to wax-on at length about at this time, as it's shortly after 4:00am in the morning, however I will pick back up with this conversation after this weekends class...

FerrariChat.com at Meguiar's!
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Scottwax
                          Point is, there is a market for upscale products and people are willing to pay the price. It makes good business sense to at least take a look at that marketplace niche.

Comment

Originally posted by Don
                            ...It cannot be truely said that a product has NO cleaners in it, as the very carrier the product uses is a cleaner of sorts, regardless if it's water or a petrolium distillate. Even the uncured sealant could have some kind of cleaning properties. Even if a product is non abrasive, the application material IS...

I've felt strongly about this for some time now.....Glad I'm not by myself on the subject.
                            r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Don

As I was typing this, I began to realize that it wouldn't work...It cannot be truely said that a product has NO cleaners in it, as the very carrier the product uses is a cleaner of sorts, regardless if it's water or a petrolium distillate. Even the uncured sealant could have some kind of cleaning properties. Even if a product is non abrasive, the application material IS...

Very true, however, the goal of a pure, non cleaning LSP would be to leave the maximum amount of existing LSP already on the vehicle. Of course, like you mentioned, the act of applying the product itself has some cleaning/abrasive properties.
                              Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Scottwax
                                Very true, however, the goal of a pure, non cleaning LSP would be to leave the maximum amount of existing LSP already on the vehicle. Of course, like you mentioned, the act of applying the product itself has some cleaning/abrasive properties.
                                As usual, I tend to over think things. I suppose that if a product were made with no ingredients specifically intended to clean, it would make for an interesting additional option (and something else that I would have to try )
                                Don
                                12/27/2015
                                "Darth Camaro"
                                2013 Camaro ... triple black
                                323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');