Bugs Bugs and more Bugs
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

  1. #1
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    17

    Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

    Bugs Bugs and more Bugs


    I need to know what everyone uses to break up the dried on bugs. I have tried several things nevthing ever seems to break up the bugs and I end up with a sore arm.

    Anything that helps.

    LMK
    2008 Jet Black BMW X3
    2007 Ford Fusion 5 Speed

  2. #2
    Registered Member rusty bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,687
    Rep Power
    88

    Re: Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

    Originally posted by 00GREENMACHINE
    I need to know what everyone uses to break up the dried on bugs. I have tried several things nevthing ever seems to break up the bugs and I end up with a sore arm.

    Anything that helps.

    LMK
    Have you tried soaking the bugs when you wash your car?

    They tend to come off easier after the water & soap has had a chance to penetrate them.
    r. b.

  3. #3
    Registered Member Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Age
    60
    Posts
    24,759
    Rep Power
    520
    One of the people that attended a detailing class a while back recommended placing a wet wash rag on a dried bug and letting it soak for a while, if your car's body style lends itself to this kind of thing you could take this though one step further and saturate a bath towel and place it on the front of your car and then while washing the rest of the car periodically re-wet the towel to enable water to continually be in contact with the dried bugs. After you finish washing all of the rest of the car, remove the wet towel and wash the front of the car, hopefully by then the bug splatter will have softened enough to enable you to wash and loosen them from the finish.
    Mike Phillips
    Office: 800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net
    "Find something you like and use it often"

  4. #4
    Registered Member rusty bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,687
    Rep Power
    88
    Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    One of the people that attended a detailing class a while back recommended placing a wet wash rag on a dried bug and letting it soak for a while, if your car's body style lends itself to this kind of thing you could take this though one step further and saturate a bath towel and place it on the front of your car and then while washing the rest of the car periodically re-wet the towel to enable water to continually be in contact with the dried bugs. After you finish washing all of the rest of the car, remove the wet towel and wash the front of the car, hopefully by then the bug splatter will have softened enough to enable you to wash and loosen them from the finish.
    Sounds like a great idea.

    I've seen the time when I wanted to remove a few tough bugs from the windshield without getting the car wet in the process.

    Looks like a person could soak a sponge and place it over the bug/glass without wetting the car.
    r. b.

  5. #5
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: Re: Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

    Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
    Have you tried soaking the bugs when you wash your car?

    They tend to come off easier after the water & soap has had a chance to penetrate them.
    how do you soak them when they are on a vertical surface?
    2008 Jet Black BMW X3
    2007 Ford Fusion 5 Speed

  6. #6
    Registered Member rusty bumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,687
    Rep Power
    88

    Re: Re: Re: Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

    Originally posted by 00GREENMACHINE
    how do you soak them when they are on a vertical surface?
    Read Mike's suggestion above and see if that might be feasible.
    r. b.

  7. #7
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    243
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Re: Re: Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

    Originally posted by 00GREENMACHINE
    how do you soak them when they are on a vertical surface?
    A little QD on a MF towel then hold it there for a few seconds. they come right off. That's the process I use when I'm walking back to the car and notice a bug splatter, but the car is not in need of a wash. I suppose water can be used in this scenario as well. The QD is probably only saturating the bug at this point, so water will probably do the same. If you are in process of washing, soapy water couldn't hurt

  8. #8
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    18
    I too have a problem with bugs this time of year.

    I recommend the following:

    1. a good coat of wax (makes removal easier)

    2. a good instant detailer, like Quik Detailer

    I remove the bugs atleast every two days with the detailer and a 100% deep pile terry towel. A microfiber just doesn't have enough bite to remove bugs, imo. Spray the QD and let in penetrate for a minute. Then spray the QD again and remove. Then repeat process if necessary. Then buff with a clean towel. This proactive approach will keep your vehicle looking good and make washing a lot easier. It only takes a few minutes to use this process.

    Some insects if not removed fairly quickly will bond with the paint and etch your surface. It is easier to spend 10 minutes a couple of times a week rather than later having to repaint your vehicle or having to bring out the power equipment to try to fix the surface defects.
    Bama

  9. #9
    Wheel & Tire Moderator evo77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    19
    These tips might work well on a recently waxed surface but what about a neglected one?

    Bug splatters will stick much harder to a wax-less surface and will always be more difficult to remove.

    Is there a product from the Meguiars lineup that can be applied directly to the trouble spots to rub away the bug guts? Maybe a bug and tar remover or something?

  10. #10
    Wheel & Tire Moderator evo77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    19
    Ah-ha, just found these.


Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Love bugs
    By 3JBS in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Sep 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
  2. Bugs, Bugs, BUGS, and MORE BUGS!!!!!
    By Tillmanator in forum Hot Topics & Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: Oct 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
  3. Got bugs?
    By Nick Chapman in forum Show Off Your Latest Detail Work
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Aug 18th, 2008, 07:03 AM
  4. Bugs!!!! I hate Bugs!!!
    By Anvstang'04 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 7th, 2008, 07:47 AM
  5. Help removing bugs
    By JLTSX07 in forum Interior Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •