• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is an altenative, Prowax makes a product called Bug Guard that you spray on and it dries as a coating that bugs stick to protecting the paint. Then you hose off the coating and the bugs, bird poo, small animals just rinse off. I don't live in an area with bugs but I mentioned it to my Florida friend and he loved it.

prowax.com

Comment

I would soak them and then try to remove them by washing.

when that doesn't work, soak again with bug and tar remover.

That will work if you are patient enough.

As for protection, I have found Wax to suffice. Nxt offers the greatest protection; I think.

I have found that even a month after waxing with Nxt Liquid, bugs don't stick. Tar doesn't either.

Everything washes off. I even waxed my wheels to prevent break dust from sticking.

Comment

I agree, NXT works great at keeping bugs from sticking in So Cal, but go to a place like Florida and you've never seen so many bugs. My cousin picked me up at the airport in Orlando. He just washed his white car and the 40 minute drive to the airport turned the front of his car black with bugs.

Comment

Hey,

Being that I live in BC, I know bugs during the summer! I make sure to keep a good coat of sealant on the vehicle at all times. I then use a pressure washer to wash the bugs off. The bugs usually come right off with little trouble. On my last camping trip, knowing I was heading into the remote mountains, I applied Meg's Last Touch to the front of the truck and travel trailer. This seemed to really help to prevent the bugs from sticking. A simple wash took them right off!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            One of the people that attended a detailing class a while back recommended placing a wet wash rag on a dried bug and letting it soak for a while, if your car's body style lends itself to this kind of thing you could take this though one step further and saturate a bath towel and place it on the front of your car and then while washing the rest of the car periodically re-wet the towel to enable water to continually be in contact with the dried bugs. After you finish washing all of the rest of the car, remove the wet towel and wash the front of the car, hopefully by then the bug splatter will have softened enough to enable you to wash and loosen them from the finish.
            Mike this is exactly what many people did (and I'll assume still do) in Florida during "Love Bug Season", those soft bodied bags of flying bug guts, will cake up a car going the speed limit like it's your birthday!

Just soap up the towel and lay it on the car after rinsing as much bug gunk off the paint, as will come off. Warm (NOT HOT), water helps if you can keep the car/towel wet so it does not dry out at all.

I always use a bucket of warm, soapy wash water just for the front bumper and hood and several towels, turning them over when checking the removal process, because not only will there be bugs, but any thing from the air and road that stuck to their pulpy mess, will also be stuck on the paint. So you don't want to do any rubbing with wash or soaking towels, until you have 99% visible the crude off.

Comment

Re: Bugs Bugs and more Bugs

Moving to Hot Topics because it's become a Hot Topic

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Poorboys , bugsquash,its some really good stuff, spray on prewash, let dwell for a few minutes then start your wash and bugs should wipe right off.I also use on very dirty and tar riden lower panels and it really loosens up hard to remove debris.
                RZ AutoDetailing

My Gallery

Comment

Hi everyone, last summer this question came up about the Fl love bugs. If I remember correctly the most notable suggestion was as follows. Take a fabric softener sheet, wet it and wipe off the bug splatter. I mentioned this to a neighbor after he came home one night. The next morning he went out there and all of the bugs came off. I could'nt see any scratches inflicted by this process.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

I love using ine of the Versa-Angle Body Brushes for this. First wet down the bugs to soften them up then using sudsy water lightly agitate with the body brush and they easily come off. The brush doesn't scratch so it's very safe.

Jim
                    My Gallery

Comment

***Bump***
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

i use a bug pad then some old claybar

Comment

I might also recommend regular (read daily) use of UQD to the front area of the car. This is quite slippery stuff and the bugs hardly stick to the paint after an application of UQD. Those that do stick wash off much more easily.

I applied NXT 2.0 a couple months back and have been using UQD before I hit the freeway and I am very impressed at the difference.
                          Jim
                          My Gallery

Comment

What is UQD? Thanks I am an amateur!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big j View Post
                              What is UQD? Thanks I am an amateur!!
                              Ultimate Quik Detailer. You can read about it here: http://www.meguiars.com/?car-mainten...-Quik-Detailer

Very slippery stuff.

And welcome to the Mequiar's on-line forum. You will find lots of great information here as well as the friendliest people and mods. Glad you found the forum.
                              Jim
                              My Gallery

Comment

I wash the vehicle first. Then I apply Turtle Wax Bug, Tar & Tree Sap Remover. This stuff works great, and a little bit goes a long way. I have been using the same can for around 15 years and I still have at least a third of it left.
                                Roadhog

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');