• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

303 Aerospace w/rotary on paint???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 303 Aerospace w/rotary on paint???

I was doing some surfing and came across THIS ARTICLE on the 303 website. I didn't know where else to post this, and if nothing else, it's an interesting topic for discussion.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

strip the wax off!!!
    I won't be trying that technique.
    2019 GMC Sierra
    1500 AT4

Comment

use compound just to strip the wax off? then fix it w/ paitn cleaner?..... hmmmm......

Comment

That's a mighty big wool pad he's using.

Looks like he should have taped off the glass and some of those high points too.
        r. b.

Comment

I got to say Don. IMO, from a "car care" company, that seems to be some of the worst advise I've seen. Goes to show why I trust megs so much. Still can get other the fact that they advertise to not use wax.......
          2019 GMC Sierra
          1500 AT4

Comment

Weird advice on working on paint. The picture of the guy doing the buffing with the rotary buffer is the same picture used in the Guru Reports Wax Test

It looks like the guy is buffing dry with a wool pad? This is a sure fire way to instill buffer swirl into paint.

The whole article is so weird I took a screen-shot of the page before they delete it.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              Weird advice on working on paint. The picture of the guy doing the buffing with the rotary buffer is the same picture used in the Guru Reports Wax Test

It looks like the guy is buffing dry with a wool pad? This is a sure fire way to instill buffer swirl into paint.

The whole article is so weird I took a screen-shot of the page before they delete it.
              The scary part is how many people will now take a rotary, wool pad and try this??!!!! I can assure you, I will NOT be one of them!!!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

It reads like they're recommending,

1. Use an abrasive compound to remove any wax that could be safely removed with a gentle paint cleaner.

2. Use a swirl remover to give a final polish and then let the finish sit for a day or two to let the oxidants evaporate (They used the incorrect spelling of the word "to")

3. Here it reads like they're recommending that you apply their rubber and vinyl protectant to the paint using terry cloth. (Am I reading this right?)

4. At Step 4 they recommend buffing the paint using either a foam pad or a cloth pad, (which I take to mean a wool pad as the only white cloth pads I can think of are white wool pads), using a rotary buffer. There is no mention of applying any other product to the surface of the foam or wool pad to buff the paint with so I'm assuming this means you're supposed to be buffing the protectant you applied by hand with the terry cloth in Step 3? This sounds like a sure fire way to instill swirls into the finish especially if you're using a wool pad.

After buffing the finish with the rotary you are then supposed to remove any excess leftover protectant off the finish using some flannel cloth. You are then instructed to repeat the above process every 6 months.

It then goes on to say...

Your paint job now has a shine compared to none and is protected against ultraviolet radiation fade.

I'm all for trying new things but I don't know if I would try this
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I'd like to see some one try this on a test panel just to see if they can do it without inducing swirls as I believe with this method in would be impossible.
                  2019 GMC Sierra
                  1500 AT4

Comment

Comeon MIKE give this a try and post pictures of the outcome. Then use Meguiar's products to show how you can restore the paint .
                    Black Bart

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart
                      Comeon MIKE give this a try and post pictures of the outcome.
                      Okay Black Bart, bring your car over to my house...

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');